Director, Community Engagement
NBC UniversalSan Jose, CA
Full Time Job
NBC Bay Area (KNTV) has an immediate opening for a Director, Community Engagement. The position reports to the VP Creative Services and Community Relations.
You're a strategic thinker. You're the kind of person who starts planning before most people are even aware of what's coming. You think two steps ahead and think early about who is best suited help you achieve your vision. You are collaborative and you listen but you have the confidence to make a decision when needed. You care deeply about the Bay Area community and have the roots and relationships to prove it. You come to work each day with a mission-oriented mindset and vision.
That's who we're looking for.
The Director leads the development, execution and management of KNTV community, communications and tent pole initiatives. Every project is approached with a clear vision of how we can make the most meaningful impact in our diverse Bay Area community. Collaboration with our community partners and with Telemundo 48 and the NBC Sports Bay Area/CA is part of every process. Relationships are forged with the aim of increasing inclusiveness as well as the stations' presence in the community.
The Director will proactively propose new events and initiatives designed to further the priorities and goals of the stations while consistently reviewing all external activities to ensure symmetry with the station's strategic priorities.
The Director will also play an important role in strategic communications. A strong writer with public relations experience, will regularly construct communication plans to further the priorities of the stations which may include developing press releases, media advisories and external messaging that amplifies our local brand and promotes our programming / initiatives.
The Director will also play an important role in vetting external event invitations, developing event briefings and coordinating external appearances by news talent and executives.
• Develop and further cultivate and support inclusive and diverse relationships between with relevant stakeholders in the San Francisco Bay Area
• Work with Vice President Creative Services to develop new strategic community plans which will support station priorities and goals and grow brand awareness across the DMA
• Build and maintain strong relationships with grassroots and community organizations and advocacy groups
• Manage production of community affairs program Asian Pacific America
• Manage station non-profit partnerships, including support through Public Service Announcements (PSAs) and other in-kind support
• Manage the FCC Public File including development of quarterly and annual reports.
• Lead station tent pole community initiatives and programs and manage internal calendar of events.
• Vet external event invitations involving executives and news talent.
• Identify best practices and proactively propose new events and initiatives while consistently reviewing all external activities to ensure symmetry with the station's strategic priorities and goals.
• Liaison with Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), NBCU Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and Comcast
• Identify revenue opportunities that can enhance community relations efforts / activities.
• Liaise with news/shows and serve as a resource for community related matters (identifying experts, testimonials, research/data, and viewer resources such as Earthquake Preparedness materials)
• Plan, support and /or execute community events / activations. This includes supporting / executing logistics for community events such as parades and festivals; station event / initiatives such as annual drives Supporting Our Schools and Clear the Shelters, Assist in Debates and telethons as needed.
• Craft strategic messaging and communications plans for key station announcements, for both internal and external distribution.
• Maintain current list of external media contacts
• Prepare and issue press releases and media advisories; proactively pitch external media to secure coverage
• Prepare briefings for outside appearances by executives and talents, and represent the duopoly and sports networks at key events when needed
• Maintain an updated archive of bios and photographs of stations' talent and executives.
• Identify programming tune-in opportunities and community-related content to drive brand awareness and ratings growth
• Actively monitor external media coverage and competitive landscape
• Bachelor's Degree in Communications or a related field.
• 7 years of professional experience with increasing levels of responsibility attained in corporate social responsibility, public affairs, public relations, journalism, or a combination
• 3 years in management role
• Excellent oral and written communications skills
• Bilingual (English/Spanish/Asian languages) a plus
• Outstanding interpersonal skills and attention to detail
• Self-starter with the drive to excel in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple tasks in a collaborative manner
• Ability to work nights and weekends as needed
• Strong knowledge of the San Francisco Bay Area non-profit, cultural, political and media landscapes
• Must be willing to work in San Jose, CA
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV online to this job to be considered
• Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU's Alternative Dispute Resolution Program