Digital News Producer
NBC UniversalChicago, IL
Full Time Job
NBCChicago.com is looking for an exceptional, driven writer with experience covering Chicago-area news and politics for a newspaper or news website. Our candidate must be an extremely effective multitasker with top-notch local news judgment, a proven track-record of both breaking news and in-depth writing, and incredible attention to detail. This person works equally well solo as in a collaborative, team-focused environment.
• Cover Chicago-area news across platforms for NBCChicago.com: web, app, social media and push alerts
• Report stories from the digital desk, especially in breaking news. Candidate must feel comfortable gathering news by making phone calls, verifying content on social media and working with reporters in the field.
• Send push alerts and post to social media in breaking news events
• Produce breaking news events across multiple platforms by collaborating with assignment desk, reporters, news staff and independent sources
• Quickly learn a website's audience and write and distribute content based on this audience
• Create multimedia content to enhance daily news coverage (i.e. video, live streams, slideshows)
• Execute all publishing workflows for video, images and text
• Enforce editorial style guides, standards and practices
• Identify buzz-worthy stories of the day and engage our local audience across multiple platforms
• Solicit user-generated content to enhance both on-air and online news coverage
• Coordinate with news producers to cross-promote on-air and online content
• Be an advocate for digital in the newsroom and beyond
• Must be able to write AP style news
• Must have experience in a newsroom for a minimum of 1.5 years
• Must be a skilled writer with outstanding communication skills.
• Must be able to work early mornings M-F and some weekends.
ADDITIONAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Must be willing to work in Chicago, IL
• Must be willing to submit to and clear a background investigation
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Must submit a resume/CV through the link below to be considered a candidate for this position
• Working knowledge of content management and video editing tools
• Writing experience for a newspaper or news website for a minimum of a year
• Covering Chicago-area news and politics
• Wire service, newspaper rewrite or digital news background
• Experience with social media, editing video and creating slideshows
• Desire to work in a creative, demanding, competitive environment
• Excellent editing, writing and management skills, as well as experience in telling stories through videos, photos and multimedia packages