Counsel, Legal Affairs
NBC UniversalUniversal City, CA
Full Time Job
Counsel, Legal Affairs, Universal Studio Group
Universal Studio Group is looking for Counsel for its Licensing Team. We are seeking a candidate who will negotiate and draft license and co-production agreements for first window content and advise all USG studios (including Universal Television Studio, Universal Content Productions, and Universal Television Alternative Studio) on internal and external sales of its original television series. The person in this role will work closely with NBCUniversal executives across the company, including those on our business affairs, creative development, finance, and distribution teams. The candidate will also have the opportunity to support certain scripted USG shows through drafting above-the-line talent and rights agreements and vetting scripts and other production materials for potential legal risks.
• Negotiate, structure, draft, and interpret outbound license and co-production agreements with streaming platforms such as Netflix, Hulu, Apple, and Amazon;
• Provide proactive and practical counseling across NBCUniversal divisions, including the TV networks, Peacock, and TV distribution to effectively manage legal risk for USG's business;
• Negotiate, structure, draft, and interpret licenses, co-production agreements, and digital rights agreements with broadcast networks and pay television networks;
• Negotiate, structure, draft, and interpret talent, rights and production contracts, including term deals and other above-the-line talent agreements, rights acquisitions, production services agreements, and indemnity agreements;
• Review scripts and other production materials for potential copyright and trademark infringement, defamation and other legal issues;
• Partner with our studio business and colleagues in the Law Department to best coordinate, prioritize and streamline legal support; and
• Other matters and related duties at the direction of the Vice President, USG Legal Affairs.
• Member of California bar or other U.S. state bar (with willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel);
• JD or LLM degree from an accredited law school; and
• A minimum of 5 years with entertainment, media, intellectual property, corporate transactional, and/or other relevant legal experience.
• Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through the link below to be considered;
• Willingness to work nights and on weekends, if needed; and
• Must be willing to work in Universal City, CA.
• Excellent drafting and negotiating skills and a strong strategist who can present, develop and guide negotiations through to closure (with experience in a transactional, corporate legal role preferred);
• Sound, practical business judgment and demonstrated ability, in a positive and practical manner, to approach complex legal scenarios in a thoughtful and analytic fashion;
• Excellent organizational and communication skills; experience communicating with various audiences and levels of management;
• Ability to recognize and respond quickly and pragmatically to time-sensitive situations;
• Adaptability to manage multiple wide-ranging matters and priorities, conflicting deadlines, and new areas of expertise as business needs change;
• Ability to develop strong relationships with multiple business units and their representatives; and
• Teamwork-oriented attitude.