Assignment Editor- Wnbc
NBC UniversalNew York, NY
This was removed by the employer on 11/3/2023 4:25:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Broadcast News Category
Browse the TV Network Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Assignment Editor- Wnbc jobs in New York-NY
Search all Assignment Editor- Wnbc postings
Full Time Job
NBCUniversal Local is NBCUniversal's local media division that delivers English and Spanish-speakers and bilingual audiences in 31 U.S. markets and Puerto Rico, the very best in local sports, news, weather, consumer and investigative reporting, and lifestyle entertainment across any platform and screen. NBCUniversal Local is comprised of three individual media groups including the NBC Owned Television Stations, the NBC Sports Regional Networks and the Telemundo Station Group. The division is also home to multicast networks NBCLX, COZI TV and TeleXitos, the regional cable news network NECN, as well as NBC Spot On, an advanced video advertising business designed for local/regional CTV and OTT advertisers and several in-house companies including production company LXTV, marketing and promotions company Skycastle, its out-of-home business NBC Everywhere, and the Arthouse, a graphics design group. With seven regional sports networks and 42 NBC and Telemundo stations serving 38 percent of U.S. homes, NBCUniversal Local is the only network-owned local media division that is home to the largest bilingual local newsrooms within the country's top 10 TV markets. NBCUniversal Local's stations and networks serve diverse audiences and communities across linear, streaming, OTT, digital web, mobile and audio, and cable platforms and work together to keep local audiences informed anytime and anywhere. For more information, visit NBCUniversal.com.
News 4 New York and Telemundo 47 are looking for an Assignment Desk Editor. The ideal candidate will be responsible for working in a duopoly environment, coordinating the teams around news stories, as well as reporter and field crew resources. Providing status of coverage to management will be critical, as well as establishing a network of contacts and sources across the New York DMA.
• Break stories, work contacts and react quickly and aggressively to breaking news. Gather information for newscasts, set up stories in advance and assist newscast producer in all aspects of the show.
• Monitor police and emergency scanners and electronic/printed sources for news.
• Enterprise story ideas and work with reporters and producers to develop stories. Conceive and execute news coverage and make front line editorial decisions on a story-by-story basis. Develop story ideas and clearly articulate them.
• Participate in daily planning meetings. Coordinate with other departments to complete stories and projects. Create and coordinate short-range planning to meet department editorial goals.
• Facilitate the news gathering process and ensure comprehensive coverage of all news stories. Dispatch crews and information in a timely and organized manner. Coordinate reporters, photographers, and other personnel to cover stories.
• Set up and coordinate live remotes inside and outside the building. Multi-task and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines.
• Monitor journalistic and editorial elements of newsgathering in the field. Communicate with production staff on the status of coverage and stories. Coordinate reporters, field crews, and assignment desk staff. -Communicate with production staff and management on the status of coverage and stories. Coordinate with other Assignment Editors and the Managing Editor for carry-over of stories from day to day.
• Monitor blogs, social media, and local papers for potential stories. Compile a list of possible stories to be followed up on by news staff.
• Develop and cultivate contacts within the community for news stories. Establish network of contacts and sources across the New York area. Cooperate with and support NBC News, Newschannel and other NBC Owned stations.
• Coordinate with the station's digital team to fulfill their real-time needs for information and video feeds in full parity with the linear newsroom
• Assists with any pending visual elements for reporters alongside others newsroom personnel
• FOR WNJU â€'' distributing stories of the day to affiliates and Latin America
• Pay range -- 75k-85k/annually
• Bachelor's degree in Journalism or Communications.
• At least 4 years' experience including: work in a broadcast news environment, coordinating assignments, generating story ideas.
• Two years' experience as an Assignment Editor.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Programs including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
• Bilingual â€'' Spanish/English
• Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered
• Must be able to work flexible hours including weekends, holidays and overnights.
• Must have the ability to work any of a 24 x 7 shift
• Must be willing to work in NYC.
• Must be willing to submit to a background investigation.
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
• Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU's Alternative Dispute Resolution Program
• Strong interpersonal skills. Team player.
• Has the ability to seek simple solutions to complex problems.
• Candidate must be a self-starter, with good telephone skills, excellent organizational skills, strong news judgment and good instincts. Ability to solve problems, prioritize decisions and act decisively under stress and tight deadlines.
• Thorough knowledge of the logistics aspect of deploying personnel and equipment for the purpose of electronic newsgathering.
• Show producing or field producing.
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.