NBC NewsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Trending Reporter, NBC News Digital
This position is represented by the NewsGuild-CWA.
We're seeking an energetic, highly motivated reporter to work on the newly created trending news team at NBC News Digital.
In this position, you will write breaking news stories on topics that are trending on search and social media, with an emphasis on entertainment and pop culture news, but also including news about health, business or the latest viral sensation.
As a trending reporter, you'll be on the hunt for the latest entertainment or celebrity news story, find interesting angles and frames, and you'll be able to think about the larger cultural issues involved in the topic. You must have keen news judgment, but also have your pulse on the zeitgeist, looking for stories or incidents that will become the topical stories of the day. You'll be able to spot important developments in an ongoing issue or controversy that can be turned into stories with context.
You'll make sure that the stories you're writing have the best photos, videos, social media embeds and other elements to provide context to readers.
This reporter will work closely with the trending editor, as well as other reporters and editors within digital and across the platforms of the NBCU News Group.
Location is flexible, with preference for the position to be based out of our New York or Los Angeles offices. Women and diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
• Actively monitoring trending search and social media
• Expertise writing SEO and social friendly headlines
• Writing clean, fast and accurate copy, headlines, and photo and video captions.
• Communicating with a team of other reporters and editors
• Making full use of the range of NBC News resources, including network newsgathering and multimedia
• 2 years experience working in a newsroom and filing
daily, preferably for a digital publication.
• Must have the desire to work in a creative, demanding,
• Must be excited to join an iconic news organization,
collaborate across teams, and own its space
• Must be a skilled reporter with outstanding
• Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV through
www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered
• A self-starter who is hungry to break news, eager to jump
on the day's biggest talkers, able to pitch and report stories
that are sharp and distinct
• Motivated to find new angles and fresh ways to tell stories
• Driven to grow and learn more