Senior Engagement Editor
NBC NewsNew York, NY
This was removed by the employer on 12/7/2021 3:04:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the TV Network Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Senior Engagement Editor jobs in New York-NY
Search all Senior Engagement Editor postings
Full Time Job
NBC News Digital is looking for a senior editor to lead a team of engagement editors dedicated to building loyalty, growing audience and deepening engagement for NBC News reporting across social and search, the NBC News homepage and app, and via newsletters and partner platforms.
The ideal candidate must be able to seamlessly switch between crafting compelling headlines, writing engaging app alerts and Facebook posts to thinking strategically about how best to share NBC News reporting with the goal of deeply engaging audience. They'll know when strong SEO is critical. The ideal candidate is editorially sharp with an audience-focused approach and has a knack for finding the hook into a story. They'll know what makes audiences tick across the news ecosystem and have experience packaging a single story in different ways accordingly. A mind for analytics and digging into data, along with a track record of success in growing audiences on and off-net is essential.
This role requires a strong communicator and experienced manager who is comfortable giving feedback to peers and coaching their direct reports, along with platforms and social editors, on how to elevate their writing and editing to optimize for audience. The ability to multitask and meet deadlines is a must.
The job is based in New York.
About the team
Engagement editors are members of the social and platforms team and will work closely with editors managing NBC News' homepage, app and social accounts, in addition to section editors who produce both breaking news, original and enterprise reporting. Like their platforms and social counterparts, they need to be analytics junkies who love getting inside the data, finding trends and adjusting their strategies accordingly.
They will be tasked with creating and executing strategy to deeply engage audience for NBC News reporting â€'' including articles and video, across social, search and NBC News' owned and operated platforms. They will also work on daily stories â€'' writing headlines, social posts and alert language, as well as feeding into daily and weekly planning. They will A/B test headlines and to post to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, as well as pitch partners. They will also partner with NBC News' audience growth team on developing distribution strategies that help find and engage audiences.
• Manage a team of editors who best optimize NBC News reporting for audiences where they are and live, whether it's social, Google, on the NBC News app or other platforms
• Develop engagement strategies and playbooks for original and enterprise reporting with the aim to grow audience and loyalty.
• Write and edit eye-catching copy for NBC News' homepage, app, social platforms, newsletters, alerts, and more.
• Analyze traffic data and audience behavior and engagement; review rollout efforts and continually iterate on best practices.
• Be an advocate and thought leader on the newsroom's best practices, from headlines to social and SEO copy to planning and distribution practices.
• 6 or more years in a digital newsroom, including writing or editing for social. Experience news editing and managing is preferred.
• A strong understanding of the social ecosystem and SEO
best practices. An insatiable curiosity for digital
audiences and how they consume content across
• Experience using analytics tools such as Chartbeat,
Parse.ly, Google Trends, Google Analytics, Taboola
Newsroom and Social Flow.
•Experience writing for different audiences and an
understanding that not all stories will be successful on
every platform, but that appropriate framing for different
spaces can make all the difference.
• Excellent communication skills and diplomacy. The ideal
candidate feels comfortable giving feedback to peers and
can delicately navigate the dynamics of a large
• Flexibility and creativity: The ideal candidate is a
problem-solver who can roll with the punches and adjust
when the newscycle upends the most carefully laid plans.