NBC NewsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Science Reporter, NBC News Digital
This position is represented by the NewsGuild-CWA.
NBC News Digital is seeking an exceptional science reporter to join its newsroom. This role will require a seasoned science journalist with experience delving into academic studies, cultivating sources, and coming up with unique angles on sometimes obscure topics.
The ideal candidate will be a resourceful journalist who can multitask, handle multiple stories, have a track record of covering a variety of topics in the world of science, and a particular ability for bringing clarity and voice to their stories. Responsibilities include generating daily coverage of breaking or trending science news, reporting original features, and collaborating with other NBC News journalists on larger projects. An interest in video, data visualization, and imaginative storytelling techniques is a plus.
The reporter should have a rigorous curiosity for every aspect of science and a passion for making those stories accessible to a mass audience. This role will require the ability to work on a variety of science topics from climate change and battery innovation to archaeology and botany. This reporter will work closely with the Senior Editor of Tech & Science, based in NYC, as well as other digital reporters, in addition to correspondents and producers throughout the NBCU News Group.
We are interested in hearing from candidates who are based anywhere within the United States or those open to remote work. Women and diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. This job will involve occasional travel to the New York bureau and for field reporting.
• Pitch, report, and write daily stories while also working on original features.
• Hone particular areas of expertise and develop sources.
• Collaborate with other NBC News journalists including on the TV side.
• 3 or more years of experience in reporting (excluding internships or undergraduate work) at least 2 years covering a science beat
• Must be excited to join an iconic news organization,
collaborate across teams, and own its space
• Knowledge of science and climate stories
• A self-starter who is hungry to break news, eager to jump
on the day's biggest talkers, able to pitch and report stories
that are original, sharp and distinct
• Motivated to find new angles and fresh ways to tell stories
• The ideal applicant will also have a track record of
• Inspired to grow and learn more