NBC NewsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Politics Editor, Weekends, NBC News Digital
NBC News Digital is seeking an experienced politics editor to join our politics team.
We're looking for someone who is quick and passionate about breaking news and a subject matter expert in politics. As an editor, you'll have to make quick judgments on what to cover and how. You'll supervise the reporters to write these stories quickly, provide headlines and social media guidance and write breaking alerts to go with them. Once an initial story is published, you'll oversee it as it continues to be updated, vetting reporting thoroughly along the way. You'll make sure that the stories you're editing have the best photos, videos, and other elements to provide context to a reader as a story is developing.
You will work closely with the senior politics editor and other politics and news editors, with teams of political reporters, and with NBC's extensive resources on its network and cable platforms who are involved in political coverage. Ideally, you are comfortable handling a mix of fast-paced edits and features and have experience and interest in generating original story ideas and developing fresh angles for the big stories of the day.
This position is a Saturday-Wed shift. The editor would be the lead politics editor on Saturday and Sunday, focusing largely on breaking news, and handling both spot and enterprise stories during the week.
Women and diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
• Lead News Digital's weekend politics coverage. During the week, editing both spot and enterprise stories
• Work with politics reporters to support their reporting and help make their stories better
• Actively monitor sources of breaking news (Dataminr, Twitter, wires, internal communications) and be prepared to jump on news seconds after it happens
• Ensure the tone of and mix of stories is in line with NBC News Digital editorial strategy, and the voice and standards of NBC News Digital
• Share information and collaborate with all NBC News platforms in a timely fashion
• 2 or more years editing politics at a regional or national
newspaper, magazine, or digital news organization
• 4 or more years of professional journalism experience
• Experience assigning and editing stories on the national politics beat