NBC NewsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Executive Producer, Features Specials â€'' NBC News NOW
We are expanding and growing NBC News Now big time and fast. We need a creative, passionate team of journalists to make the magic happen morning, noon, and night.
Get in touch if you're a great executive producer who produces high quality digital features and specials, has a strong visual and storytelling sensibility, and loves leading a team.
But hurry. We've got a lot to do.
This newly created role reports to the head of digital video originals and will oversee the slate of unscripted specials and long-lead digital features and series for NBC News' digital platforms. This leader will help craft the vision for and execute the strategy for NBC News specials and digital features and specials for NBC News NOW. The Executive Producer of this unit will:
• Work closely with the head of NBC News digital video to define the overall specials programming strategy for specials around buzzy news moments and exclusive stories.
• Track and grow audience growth and engagement, data and analytics and make informed programming decisions.
• Effectively mentor and lead the specials and features team to excel as a team and grow individually.
• Ensures that all content meets editorial standards and cultivates a voice and a brand for these special / short-documentaries.
• Stays abreast of audience trends across the streaming landscape.
• Manage production from development, to greenlight, to post-production, going live and its rollout.
• Will work closely with the social media and marketing team on the rollout and promotion strategy to maximize visibility, distribution, and audience.
• Cultivate format-types and innovate on them.
• Manage budget, programming, production, post-production, and delivery deadlines for each special or mini-documentary.
• Editorial ideation, collaboration, and strong script writing/editing skills
• Experience in development and programming strategy
for short-turnaround specials, and exclusive-access short
• Demonstrated success in building and leading content-
creation teams â€'' ideally in short-docs and specials
• Strong understanding of the content development and
• Experience in news, media, or digital native editorial
content creation and programming.
• Ability to recognize the white space in this genre of genre
of content in the programming landscape.
• Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with
other teams in the news organization.
• Success innovating with different formats, stories, and
• Familiarity and understanding of working with legal and
standards on vetting each special or short-doc before
going rolling out the content.
• Experience producing a wide-range of genres of stories
in specials and short-docs from 30-minutes to an hour in
• News junkie with impeccable editorial judgment.
• A career background in journalism or media with strong
• Leadership experience overseeing a team for at least 3-
5 years and deep producing experience of specials and
mini-documentaries, or a digital platform working on this
genre, for 7 years.
• Experience producing high-quality specials in quick
turnaround while still adding creative elements and not
sacrificing the craft.
• Knowing how to cultivate unique long-lead stories not
otherwise being told or getting access to topics and
people no other content creators have as yet.
• Enjoys mentoring and leading a team of creators while
unlocking their best work and encouraging them to keep
• Able to give clear input and guidance during the notes
process in post-production.
• Visionary when it comes to this genre in terms story
selection, framing, and final treatment.
• Creative in looking for new approaches, formats, and
• A sincere love and passion for this genre of storytelling!