Director, Social Newsgathering
NBC NewsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
We are looking for an experienced social media professional to lead a dynamic team of reporters tasked with social discovery, verification and driving newsgathering across all NBC News Group platforms.
The candidate must have significant experience building and running a world-class social media team, with a deep understanding of the ever-evolving landscape of social media platforms, and how best to leverage them for newsgathering purposes.
Candidates must demonstrate the ability to work under pressure, respond to breaking news in a timely fashion, and have a depth of experience with both domestic and foreign news. They must be team players who can collaborate across platforms, time zones, brands, and teams.
Candidates should be comfortable working with senior executives, and championing projects with a wide variety of stakeholders.
Candidates should ideally have previous experience working in a newsroom. Cover stories across a wide range of topics â€'' from breaking news to criminal justice to sports and pop culture.
• Direct and inspire a team of reporters specializing in social discovery.
• Oversee a 24/7 coverage desk that supports bureaus, digital platforms, cable and network shows in helping spot and verify initial unconfirmed reports, acquiring user-generated media.
• Use social media to advance a wide range of stories by finding and interviewing subjects and acquiring user generated content.
• Discover fresh angles during ongoing, continuous coverage to ensure NBC News dominates on both breaking news and enterprise coverage.
• Create and implement training and best practices for the news division to strengthen overall social newsgathering capabilities.
• Develop new processes and strategies for Social Media Newsgathering and partner with leadership of all our News brands to implement new ideas.
• Collaborate with third-party organizations to create new opportunities for digital newsgathering.
• Discover and break news through social media platforms and tools.
• Participate in special projects and assist senior editors as needed.
• Bachelor's Degree or equivalent
• At least five years working in social discovery at either a news operation or agency, with a focus on news and storytelling.
• Demonstrated ability to leverage social media platforms to inform newsgathering and storytelling capabilities.
• Strong understanding of how stories are shared and consumed differently across digital, social and mobile platforms.
• Must have demonstrated experience assigning and prioritizing coverage, as well as managing a social newsgathering team.
Additional Job Requirements
• Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV through the link below to be considered.
• Must be able to work flexible hours including early mornings, evenings, overnight hours, weekends, and holidays.
• Must be willing to work in NYC.
• Must have extraordinary communication skills with ability to motivate and inspire a team.
• Proven news judgment, high ethical standards and excellent interpersonal skills.
• Ability to meet deadlines while managing multiple projects.
• Desire to work in a creative, demanding environment.
• Experience covering breaking news in competitive environments.