NBC NewsWashington, DC
This was removed by the employer on 11/27/2023 4:35:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Broadcast News Category
Browse the TV Network Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Desk Assistant jobs in Washington-DC
Search all Desk Assistant postings
Full Time Job
The NBC News Washington Bureau offers paid full-time Desk Assistants (D.A.) positions year-round. Our desk assistant program is intended for individuals with a strong interest in television journalism â€'' specifically network news and cable news. The positions provide excellent opportunities to learn the basics of reporting and production by observing and working with some of the best, most experienced news professionals at a major news organization.
Our Desk Assistants' positions are entry-level positions with benefits. The positions are staff with an end date (18 months).
Desk Assistants' main duties and responsibilities are performing administrative, operational, and editorial tasks for the NBC News Washington Bureau and the NBC News and MSNBC cable news programs it serves.
- Answering Washington Bureau newsdesk phones.
- Coordinating and gathering incoming news videos.
- Logging news events and flagging editorial for the bureau including the White House.
- Assisting correspondents and anchors with editorial and production tasks during program airings/tapings.
- Greeting guests for news programs, escorting them to studios, preparing them for live shots. Working with the assignment desk.
Desk assistants' additional professional opportunities may include:
- Field-producing coverage of news events or elements for news reports.
- Digital journalist camera-shooting of news events.
- Producing news reports for various NBC News or MSNBC programs, NBC News affiliates, or NBC News/msnbc.com websites.
- Some desk assistants may obtain assignments as MSNBC production assistants.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- Unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
- 24/7 availability: ability/willingness to work overtime, nights, holidays, and weekends, often with short notice.
- Strong journalistic writing skills, research skills, editorial judgment.
- Television newsroom experience.
- Digital journalism experience.
- Strong interest in and demonstrated knowledge of current affairs.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent telephone communications skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft word and outlook e-mail.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize assignments.
- Ability to work effectively in a high-intensity environment, often under tight deadline pressures.
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.