Deputy Enterprise Editor
NBC NewsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Deputy Enterprise Editor, NBC News Digital
NBC News Digital is hiring an experienced editor to work with our enterprise reporters on ambitious accountability stories, features, and investigative projects.
This editor should have a proven record of success in conceiving, producing, and editing well-written, high-impact work on a variety of topics. The editor should have demonstrated experience in coordinating all aspects of digital projects, including multimedia and data visualization. Experience running data-driven investigations is a plus.
The editor will work with our Assistant Managing Editor for Enterprise to manage a team of seven reporters based across the United States producing groundbreaking original stories on topics including racial and economic inequality, policing, health care, education, housing, and government accountability. This role offers the opportunity to report and write as well as edit.
Our preference is for this role to be based in New York, but we will consider applicants based elsewhere in the United States. Women and diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
• Work with the Assistant Managing Editor for Enterprise to develop rigorously reported, compelling stories that are creatively told across all digital platforms and lead a team of reporters producing these stories.
• Edit several enterprise articles and features each week, along with a series of major projects every year.
• Manage reporters on the enterprise team, working with them to produce journalism that sets us apart. This work, which includes guiding the reporters in developing ideas, coaching them on reporting and writing and editing their stories, will comprise the majority of the editor's time.
• Pitch original ideas for enterprise projects, report these ideas out, and write stories.
• Work with a range of journalistic talent from both digital and TV, including digital staff members who want to elevate their game into long-form work, television reporters and producers, and freelancers.
• Cultivate editorial relationships with content partners, including nonprofit newsrooms.
• At least 7 years of experience at major newspapers,
websites or magazines, including at least 3 years
reporting and editing enterprise work.
• A track record of breaking big news stories that received
national attention or award recognition and spurred
• Deep familiarity with document- and data-based
reporting, news-driven investigations, accountability
journalism and narrative storytelling.
• Exceptional leadership skills and the ability to work
collaboratively across a large news organization.
• A proven ability to partner with video, data, graphics and
social teams to deliver engaging digital stories.