Deputy Editor, Politics, Digital
NBC NewsWashington, DC
This was removed by the employer on 11/3/2023 4:26:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Broadcast News Category
Browse the TV Network Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Deputy Editor, Politics, Digital jobs in Washington-DC
Search all Deputy Editor, Politics, Digital postings
Full Time Job
NBC News Digital is seeking an experienced editor to join the politics team for NBCNews.com. As the Deputy Editor, you will be an integral part of our coverage for the 2024 election.
NBC News' team of digital politics reporters is covering 2024 from all angles â€'' from breaking news and scoops on the latest candidate moves to industry-leading enterprise reporting on what's happening inside the campaigns and how voters are approaching the election. We're focused on the presidential race as well as key down-ballot and governor races.
The Deputy Editor will be in the middle of it all and will manage several reporters. They should be comfortable assigning and editing on any political topic, with the experience and know-how to move stories forward and make them catch fire.
This editor should be a master of headlines, ledes and why-it-matters paragraphs, creative about story formats and angles, and someone who thrives in a collaborative environment.
Success in this role means helping reporters choose and execute their best story pitches as well as generating your own. Deep knowledge of politics â€'' and a love of political journalism â€'' is a must.
This role is based in Washington, DC or New York City.
• Work with a team of editors to brainstorm, assign, edit and manage coverage of the 2024 election
• Assign and edit news stories to ensure they are thorough, well written, accurate and authoritative
• Actively monitor sources of breaking news and be prepared to jump on developments as they happen
• Make sure stories are optimized with SEO, catchy headlines, strong ledes and visual elements to help tell our stories
• 5 years in journalism, preferably covering politics
• Experience managing and coaching political journalists
• Outstanding editing skills â€'' from clean writing to an agile brainstorming mind
• Outstanding communication skills
• Expertise in writing SEO and optimizing stories for different platforms
• An expert planner with sharp news judgment who can spot which stories need our attention and which don't
• An excellent communicator who can work well with others in a variety of roles at different levels of the company
• Extensive knowledge of politics and the political news landscape
• The creativity to think about how best to present stories to readers in a way that will catch their interest
• Hybrid: This position has been designated as hybrid, generally contributing from the office a minimum of three days per week.
This position is eligible for company sponsored benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), paid leave, tuition reimbursement, and a variety of other discounts and perks. Learn more about the benefits offered by NBCUniversal by visiting the Benefits page of the Careers website.
NBCUniversal's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.