Breaking News Reporter
NBC NewsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Breaking News Reporter, Evening, NBC News Digital
We're seeking a breaking news reporter to join NBC News Digital.
In this position, you will join an established team of breaking news reporters and editors working an evening shift. The role of the team is to cover a wide variety of breaking news stories as they happen â€'' including natural disasters, crime, lawsuits, cultural events, celebrity news, science developments and health studies, business news, and viral social media posts.
The right candidate will be adept at handling a variety of breaking news stories and have experience working under extremely tight deadlines in a high-pressure atmosphere. As a breaking news reporter, you'll pick up the phone and start reporting and be ready to file within minutes of a major breaking story, matching your style to the topic and keeping your cool throughout. Once an initial story is published, you'll be prepared to rapidly update the story while recognizing that information still needs to be thoroughly vetted. You'll also be willing to pursue additional angles on the day's news, filing breakout stories that give readers a fresh perspective, highlight the most interesting aspects of the news, and move the story forward.
You'll be comfortable thinking creatively about coverage and making the most of the digital storytelling format. You'll make sure that the stories you're writing have the best photos, videos and other elements to provide context to a reader as a story is developing.
The position will be based in either our New York or Los Angeles bureau and report to the lead breaking news editor.
include but are not limited to:
• Actively monitoring sources of breaking news (Dataminr, Twitter, wires, internal communications) and be prepared to jump on news seconds after it happens.
• Writing SEO headlines.
• Writing clean, fast and accurate copy, headlines and photo and video captions.
• Communicating with a team of other reporters and editors.
• Making full use of the range of NBC News resources, including network newsgathering and multimedia.
• At least 2 years professional work experience
• Must be a skilled reporter with outstanding communication
• Must have the desire to work in a creative, demanding,
• Bachelor's Degree
• Experience working in a digital-first newsroom or news
• Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and
operate on tight deadlines