Breaking News Editor, NBC News Digital
NBC NewsRemote, NY
This was removed by the employer on 8/20/2021 8:14:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Broadcast News Category
Browse the TV Network Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Breaking News Editor, NBC News Digital jobs in Remote-NY
Search all Breaking News Editor, NBC News Digital postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Breaking News Editor, NBC News Digital?
Full Time Job
Weâ€™re seeking an experienced breaking news editor to work at NBC News Digital.
In this position, you will work with a team of breaking news reporters and editors on an evening shift. The role of the team is to cover a wide variety of breaking news stories as they happen â€'' including natural disasters, crime, lawsuits, cultural events, celebrity news, science developments and health studies, business news, and viral social media posts.
In this role, youâ€™ll have to make quick judgments on which events to cover and how to cover them. This means youâ€™ll often need to jump in and write a story yourself, depending on the needs of the shift.
Youâ€™ll also supervise reporters to write these stories quickly, provide headlines and social media guidance and write breaking alerts to go with them. Once an initial story is published, youâ€™ll oversee it as it continues to be updated, vetting reporting thoroughly along the way. Youâ€™ll make sure that the stories youâ€™re editing have the best photos, videos, and other elements to provide context to a reader as a story is developing.
You will work with the other editors on News Digital and will report to the lead breaking news editor.
To qualify for the job, you will thrive on reacting instantly and responsibly to breaking news, ensuring both speed and accuracy, clarity and fairness. As an NBC News editor, you will be obsessive about keeping NBC News competitive on major news stories and reporting news first, thriving on the challenge as a team player who never loses your cool.
We are especially interested in hearing from candidates who are based outside of New York, Washington or Los Angeles to improve geographic diversity within our staff. Women and diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
• Actively monitor sources of breaking news (Dataminr, Twitter, wires, internal communications) and be prepared to jump on news seconds after it happens.
• Expertise in writing and editing SEO, social and homepage headlines.
• Editing and writing clean, fast and accurate copy, headlines and photo and video captions.
• Make full use of the range of NBC News resources, including network newsgathering and multimedia.
• Bachelorâ€™s Degree
• 4 years working in a newsroom environment that puts a
priority on breaking news, with demonstrated experience
assigning, writing and editing news stories.
• 2 years editing breaking news.
• 2 years working in a digital shop.
• Must be willing to work evenings and weekends.
• Must have the desire to work in a creative, demanding
and competitive environment.
• Must be a skilled editor with outstanding communication