Breaking Health Editor
NBC NewsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Breaking Health Editor, NBC News Digital
We're seeking an editor to manage breaking health news coverage at NBC News Digital in New York.
As the breaking health news editor, you'll work with NBC News Digital's breaking news team as well as the network's Medical Unit to coordinate coverage of the day's biggest health news. You'll have an aptitude for speed â€'' and the judgment to know when to slow down and scrutinize a story â€'' as well as a background in covering health and science news. You'll assign and edit stories and also be able to step in and write as necessary.
The right candidate will have experience editing health news ranging from Covid-19, food safety, analyzing diet trends and nutritional guidance and product recalls.
You must have keen news judgment and be attuned to what a general audience is interested in. You should also know how to assess scientific studies to determine what merits coverage. You will manage one full-time reporter to start and report to the lead breaking news editor.
You will make sure that the stories you're editing and writing have the best photos, videos, social media embeds and other elements to provide context to a reader.
• Writing clean, fast and accurate copy, headlines, and photo and video captions
• Communicating with a team of other reporters and editors
• Planning ahead and pre-writing for announcements, papers being released under embargo, etc.
• Making full use of the range of NBC News resources, including network newsgathering and multimedia
• At least five years experience working in a newsroom
and editing daily stories, preferably for a digital
publication, including at least two years writing or editing
stories about health.
• Experience managing a team.
• Experience monitoring social and search trends online.
• Expertise writing headlines
• Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV through
• Desire to work in a creative, demanding, competitive environment.
• Skilled editor with outstanding communication skills.