Instagram Account Director
National GeographicWashington, DC
Full Time Job
The Instagram Account Director, who will report to the VP, Visual Experiences, is responsible for the strategy and implementation of the National Geographic Instagram hero account (and possibly Travel, TBD), managing the contributors and content while evaluating growth opportunities. As we expand into new opportunities that the platform offers, the Instagram Account Director will be accountable for our strategic initiative: revenue targets, organic content, contributor gender parity diversity, live storytelling, etc.
The ideal candidate will strive in a fast, energetic environment as we try to implement a contemporary media and product-driven culture. We are in the early stages of developing our Digital Strategy so we are looking for a leader that can use data to inform our decisions, is willing to test and iterate, loves mentoring new talent and wants to help lead the transformation of a revered 130 year old brand.
This role is crucial to driving the audience and revenue growth of NGP's digital business and to bringing to life the contemporary visual experience of the National Geographic brand.
• Partner with National Geographic photographers to share content in new ways
• Serve as the chief point of contact for the Instagram feed, internally and externally, acting as a stakeholder in editorial, business, and communications issues
• Collaborate with editorial and commercial teams – and upper management – to balance competing demands of the feed
• Responsible for maintaining the roll-out schedule, guidelines for, and security of the feed
• Drive creative strategy and output for the Instagram feed. Serve as chief point of contact for Instagram internally and externally, acting as stakeholder in editorial, business, and communications issues
• Work with Ad Sales, Channel, & Magazine to develop, source, and deliver sponsored and organic content.
• Approve scripts, videos, stills, and text, making sure sponsored content is appropriate for platform; conforms to our tone; doesn't carry liabilities or licensing issues.
• Deploy and monitor sponsored Instagram campaigns and organic content
• Collaborate with Nat Geo photographers to develop, create, and deliver stories and other creative concepts, sharing exclusive content and creating viral hits
• Moderate content being posted directly to feed by contributors; read and edit captions, as necessary, to comply with NGS Map Policy
• Mine Instagram feed to provide visual content for O&O and other distribution experiences
• Maintain the roll-out schedule, guidelines for, and security of the feed.
• Bachelors Degree in related field
• Strong communication skills, multi-language is bonus
• Ability to understand consumer performance data and commercial models
• Comfortable with traditional publishing and CMS tools
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
The National Geographic Channels form the television and production arm of National Geographic Partners, a joint venture between 21st Century Fox and the National Geographic Society. As a global leader in premium science, adventure and exploration programming, the Channels include: National Geographic Channel (NGC), Nat Geo WILD, Nat Geo People and Nat Geo MUNDO. Additionally, the Channels also run the in-house television production unit, National Geographic Studios. The Channels contribute to the National Geographic Society's commitment to exploration, conservation and education with entertaining, innovative programming from A-level talent around the world, and with profits that help support the society's mission. Globally, NGC is available in more than 440 million homes in 171 countries and 45 languages, and Nat Geo WILD is available in 131 countries and 38 languages. National Geographic Partners is also a leader in social media, with a fan base of 250 million people across all of its social pages. NGC contributes over 55 million social media fans globally on Facebook alone.