Editor in Chief
National GeographicWashington, DC
Full Time Job
Reporting to the EVP, National Geographic Media, this role is responsible for leading the editorial content strategy for the National Geographic's Journalistic offerings which are distributed in 4 Print Magazines (National Geographic, History Magazine, Nat Geo Kids, and National Geographic Little Kids), Digital & Mobile environments, and Audio formats.
The Editor in Chief manages a team of 130+ editors, writers, and designers and is responsible for developing and leading the global editorial strategy for National Geographic Partners.
The role is responsible for partnering with the Leadership team to transform the organization into a multi-platform storytelling team while maintaining the authenticity, quality, and wonder that has always been associated with the National Geographic Magazine.
• Within the broader strategic framework set by EVP of National Geographic Media, lead content development and execution for the National Geographic's suite of offerings – including NatGeo.com, Nat Geo's Mobile App, 4 print magazines, and a growing set of digital and audio offerings.
• Lead editorial teams in managing relationships with the world's leading authors, photographers, & infographic designers.
• Lead the digital media teams to ensure the right balance of engaging daily content with high-value reference content for a global audience.
• Integrate social media resources to the storytelling process.
• Ensure close alignment with global channels content development & digital teams to ensure franchise stories are carried across media platforms to create media convergence and optimized for our global consumer touch points.
• Establish clear leadership position in the areas of natural history, earth sciences, science, history, environment, adventure, exploration, travel, kids & family.
• Work with the National Geographic Society to understand their Grant, Fellowship, Explorer Programs – as well as other initiatives – and determine where appropriate to leverage and amplify via our Storytelling.
• Ensure NG storytelling adheres to the core tenets of superlative visuals, factual accuracy and compelling narratives.
• Support and collaborate with broader Franchises or Synergies that would be identified by the broader Walt Disney Company or the NGP Enterprise team.
• Collaborate with the various TWDC Segments and the National Geographic Society to ensure total alignment on content and priorities.
• Create independent content that compliments and supports Disney+ and the various National Geographic or TWDC owned platforms and priorities – with the opportunity to creating explainer, or ''go-deeper'' content related to other titles.
• Partner with Enterprise Brand Management, Finance, Legal, and HR to address specific functional or organization-wide opportunities or challenges, and ensure compliant business practices that are consistent with TWDC requirements.
• Act as change leader who embraces and drives continuous adaptation and improvement, enabling the organization to address global business challenges.
• Support EVP of National Geographic Media and other TWDC leaders with managing a highly matrixed, global organization in service of achieving overall business goals.
• Serve as one of the public faces of National Geographic by speaking on panels, interviews, and representing the work of the company.
• Champion and actively foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and culture.
• Minimum of 10 years professional experience in a journalism/editorial role.
• Bachelor's degree.
• Experience identifying and working with, as well as motivating, the world's best editors, photographers, writers, & journalists.
• Must have strong leadership and management skills.
• Must have strong journalistic credentials.
• Demonstrated curiosity & appreciation for the natural world and an instinct for subjects and issues likely to become topical in the coming years, months and weeks.
• Experience with integrated workflows for content delivery across print & digital platforms.
• Clear working knowledge of the dynamics within the global publishing industry and an ability to accommodate the interests of multiple stakeholders without compromising the bond of trust established with the visitor or reader.
• Demonstrated ability to lead collaboration and influence teams not directly within their responsibility.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
About National Geographic:
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainmen