Director Of Human Resources
National GeographicWashington, DC
Full Time Job
National Geographic Partners has an exciting opportunity for a Director of Human Resources. We are looking for an energetic, forward-thinking and seasoned HR professional to provide management support and counsel to employee groups supporting National Geographic's iconic brand and dynamic businesses, including its cable channels, its 130-year-old magazine, its digital and social platforms, maps, travel and other media.
Reporting to the Vice President of Human Resources, and based at National Geographic Partners' corporate headquarters in Washington, DC, the Director of Human Resources will provide generalist support to business client groups, including performance management, employee relations, management and employee coaching, headcount/budget tracking, and managing various HR processes and projects. The Director of Human Resources will partner regularly with HR Shared Services support departments such as Talent Acquisition, Compensation, Benefits, Diversity, Organizational Development & Training, and Legal, to provide HR solutions and services.
• Oversee day-to-day HR Generalist responsibilities for assigned client groups, and partner with business leaders to implement HR strategies. Serve as an advocate for employees.
• Provide HR and organizational support and counsel to management and individual client groups by recommending and drafting performance management plans, conducting departmental organizational overviews, staff development and employee relations.
• Train managers and employees on annual processes such as goal setting, performance feedback, reviews, merit, and employee development.
• Help lead diversity and inclusion events and initiatives, and support the company's Diversity strategy.
• Help lead and support employee events such as the wellness fair, community volunteer program, and other engagement activities.
• Keep finger on the pulse of employee morale. Keep pace with the organizational dynamics and changes within the business, and help promote a respectful and collaborative culture at National Geographic.
• Track turnover trends and make suggestions on how to change or improve the employee experience.
• Participate in company, HR and community events as well as employee recognition events.
• Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or related field preferred.
• Minimum of 10 years HR experience required, demonstrating an excellent knowledge of HR practices, policies, and employment law.
• Experience providing HR support for a large organization required, with experience in the entertainment, media or publishing businesses a plus.
• Outstanding interpersonal communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with all levels.
• Must be able to develop and maintain strong working relationships with the HR team, leaders, and employees at all levels.
• Must possess business savvy, demonstrate a strategic focus and sense of urgency, with the ability to exercise strong influence and negotiation skills.
• Attention to detail and excellent analytical skills required.
• Must be proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
• Experience working with the Workday HR system is a plus.
• Must have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment while maintaining poise and focus.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
The National Geographic Channels form the television and production arm of National Geographic Partners, a joint venture between 21st Century Fox and the National Geographic Society. As a global leader in premium science, adventure and exploration programming, the Channels include: National Geographic Channel (NGC), Nat Geo WILD, Nat Geo People and Nat Geo MUNDO. Additionally, the Channels also run the in-house television production unit, National Geographic Studios. The Channels contribute to the National Geographic Society's commitment to exploration, conservation and education with entertaining, innovative programming from A-level talent around the world, and with profits that help support the society's mission. Globally, NGC is available in more than 440 million homes in 171 countries and 45 languages, and Nat Geo WILD is available in 131 countries and 38 languages. National Geographic Partners is also a leader in social media, with a fan base of 250 million people across all of its social pages. NGC contributes over 55 million social media fans globally on Facebook alone.