Vice President, Documentary Films
National Geographic PartnersNew York, NY
Full Time Job
OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
JOB DESCRIPTIONThe VP of Documentary Films will ideally be based either in Los Angeles or New York City and run the day-to-day operations of NGC's feature documentary business. This executive will work closely with filmmakers, producers and festivals on NGC's feature documentaries, including soliciting original projects, supervising creative development and production, sourcing acquisition, strategizing around theatrical distribution, festivals, and awards and collaborating with our marketing and communications groups on the channel's film festival and awards strategy. This seasoned and experienced executive will be supervised by the Exec VP of Documentary Films in Los Angeles and will be expected to have deep relationships in the creative community and deep knowledge of all aspects of the feature documentary business.
• Working closely with filmmakers and internal stakeholders on 4-6 feature documentaries a year with a particular emphasis on distribution and festival strategy as well as helping to ensure creative excellence.
• Four to six documentary films per year for NGC, Disney+, or Hulu, depending on content.
• Cultivating relationships with the best, most creatively excellent doc filmmakers and producers in the world thru outreach in NYC, London and at key film festivals around the world.
• Nat Geo Doc Films is perceived as the best-in-class destination for the most creatively excellent documentary films and filmmakers.
• Strategizing with NGC's marketing and communications teams around rollout across festivals, theatrical distribution, and awards.
• Theatrical box office results (where relevant) and acceptance into prestigious film festivals that build momentum and help get awards recognition for Oscars, Emmys, etc.
• Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience.
• Significant experience working on feature documentaries (not unscripted or reality TV series).
• Experience with or deep knowledge of the film festival ecosystem and the indie documentary community.
• Ideally, experience working at and successfully navigating inside an established media company.
• An ability to communicate effectively to talent and network/studio executives.
• A sophisticated creative sensibility and an ability to identify premium content that appeals to Nat Geo TV viewers.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
About National Geographic:
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with National Geographic Partners, LLC, which is part of a business segment we call National Geographic.
National Geographic Partners, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.