Deputy Director, Photography/ Print
National Geographic PartnersWashington, DC
Full Time Job
OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
JOB DESCRIPTIONPhotography is critical to the National Geographic brand across platforms.The Deputy Director of Photography is responsible for managing the editorial staff of photo editors; overseeing the assignment, production, and acquisition of photography across print and digital platforms; providing journalistic insight and editorial guidance to photo editors on the development of visual storytelling across platforms; managing the deadlines and budgets; and recruiting and nurturing a diverse group of contributors.In this role, one will be called on to represent National Geographic both within and outside of the company.Responsibilities:
• Assists the Director of Visuals and Immersive Experiences in accomplishing the strategic goals of the Photo Department through collaboration with staff and stakeholders.
• Manages the editorial photo staff to produce quality editorial content on deadline and on budget. Approves content budgets; approves T&E for all direct reports and exempt staff.
• Supports highest quality photo content by reviewing the work of the Photo Editors; offering journalistic insight and advice; and contributing editorial guidance on story development and coverage throughout the entire process-from approval of proposals, through fieldwork and layout, to final release of a story.
• Maintains relationships with world-class photo talent and oversees the assigning of contract photographers. Recruits and develops new talent (through research, conferences, festivals, and portfolio reviews); recruits Photo Intern annually (through relationships with educational institutions).
• Collaborates on contractual discussions and sponsored-content projects.
• Ensures staff is engaged and encouraged toward productivity and growth.
• Experience with the production of high-quality, on-brand visual storytelling product.
• Exceptional managerial skills with proven success leading a professional, dynamic, focused team that creates the very best visual content and meets budget goals.
• Able to maintain a high level of visual storytelling that is iconic to a brand.
• Strong relationships with world-class photographers, and ability to nurture new and diverse talent to maintain visual excellence.
• Understands, supports, and meets goals for rights and usage of visual content.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
About National Geographic:
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with National Geographic Partners, LLC, which is part of a business segment we call National Geographic.
National Geographic Partners, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.