Manager, Consumer Insights
MTVNew York, NY
Full Time Job
MTV is the leading global youth media brand in 180 countries, reaching 450 million households in nearly 30 different languages across every platform. MTV is the world's premier youth entertainment brand, the cultural home of the millennial generation and a pioneer in creating innovative programming for young people. MTV reflects pop culture with award-winning content built around compelling storytelling, music discovery and activism across TV, the internet and other platforms. A unit of ViacomCBS Inc. (NASDAQ: VIAB, VIA), MTV operations span cable and mobile networks, live events, theatrical films and MTV Studios.
The MTV Entertainment Group consists of leading media & content brands including Comedy Central, MTV, VH1, Paramount Network, Smithsonian, Logo, CMT, TV Land, and Pop TV. The MTV Entertainment Group Research & Insights department is responsible for developing a deep understanding of global audiences' perspectives and behaviors, as well as cultural trends, to inform the organization's strategic decision-making. Within this department, we are looking for a Manager to join the Content Insights & Strategy team.
The Manager role will focus on conducting research and developing audience insights through a variety of qualitative and quantitative methodologies. Reporting into the Senior Director, this Manager will help with custom & syndicated research to inform Development, Marketing, Creative, and Programming Strategy for Scripted, Comedic (Adult Animation, Topical, etc.), and Original Movie content. This role will focus on content testing across linear and streaming platforms, as well as thought leadership projects related to our audiences and their connection to content.
This is an exciting opportunity to impact content and strategy for some of the world's most iconic media brands. The ideal candidate is a well-rounded researcher with deep knowledge and passion for media, entertainment, cultural trends, and consumer insight.
• Conduct proprietary studies supporting the full life cycle of content (e.g., concept/pilot testing, series maintenance, creative testing) and broader explorations into genres, audiences, and cultural trends, resulting in meaningful insights for key partners
• Effectively handle projects with external vendors by monitoring key timelines and details, including recruitment of respondents, development of research instruments (e.g., surveys, discussion guides, research stimulus, etc.), and analysis/reporting
• Stay up to speed on the competitive landscape and industry/consumer trends across traditional TV, streaming, and digital, using various sources (syndicated, social listening, primary research, etc.) to share expertise and help identify whitespace opportunities
• Support research needs of Content Strategy, Development, Marketing, and Creative teams with ad hoc projects, including sizing & profiling target audiences, sizing opportunities for greenlights, and assessing potential brand partnerships
• Assist in identifying and reporting on cultural trends to help the organization stay ahead of the curve, connecting back to implications for our content, consumers, brands, and marketing efforts
• At least 4 years of related research experience, including Marketing, Creative and Content Research; either at a Media/Entertainment/Tech company, or at an agency working with clients in this space
• Experience with qualitative and quantitative research (e.g., focus groups, IDIs, surveys, etc.)
• Familiarity and/or proficiency with syndicated tools and systems (e.g., YouGov, MRI, Talkwalker, E-Poll, etc.)
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (e.g., PowerPoint, Word, Excel)
• Bachelor's degree or higher
• High level of accuracy and attention to detail, with strong analytic and project management skills
• Ability to turn complex insights into clear, well-written, and visually compelling deliverables (e.g., presentations, one-sheets, newsletters, etc.)
• Highly organized, collaborative self-starter with the ability to set priorities, meet tight deadlines, and handle multiple small and large-scale projects
• Excellent interpersonal skills, comfortable interacting with a wide range of personalities and establishing effective relationships at all levels of the organization
• Adaptive, instinctively curious, and a fast learner
• Comfortable presenting in team meetings
• Experience with international/global research, streaming, and/or movies is a plus
• Interest in tracking and analyzing cultural trends
• Love of all things television, streaming, and pop culture