Platforms & Social Editor
MSNBCNew York, NY
This was removed by the employer on 1/13/2022 2:36:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Social Media Category
Browse the TV Network Category
Search for Platforms & Social Editor jobs in New York-NY
Search all Platforms & Social Editor postings
Full Time Job
Platforms & social editor, nights, MSNBC
MSNBC Digital is looking for an experienced editor to join its platforms and social team. The editor will be focused on curating MSNBC's homepage, but as a part of the platforms and social team will write headlines, SEO and social posts, and distribute content to partners such as Smartnews and Flipboard.
The ideal candidate will be a politics and breaking news junkie and have experience programming digital platforms for a major news organization. They will know what drives audiences to read stories and watch video on desktop and mobile. They need to be a talented headline writer, have a passion for analytics and SEO and have strong news judgment.
This position requires the ability to make decisions under pressure and to change footing quickly and multitask when news breaks. The editor needs to show immaculate attention to detail, as well as a sense for the mix â€'' balance, diversity and tone â€'' of videos and articles on MSNBC.com and its social accounts. The candidate must also have the skillset of a frontline news editor: a breadth of knowledge about national and international stories, an ability to copy edit and experience with digital publishing in a content management system.
This position is represented by the NewsGuild-CWA and is based in New York but candidates from around the country will be considered.
• Write and edit eye-catching copy for MSNBC's social platforms, homepage, newsletters, alerts, and more.
• Curate MSNBC.com and its social accounts
• Watch MSNBC prime time and identify must-watch interviews and moments
• Write sharp, compelling headlines and A/B test headlines
• Monitor real-time analytics to inform video and story programming
• Distribute and pitch stories to Smartnews, Flipboard, etc.
• Contribute to the production of the MSNBC newsletter
• Work with photo editors to art the homepage
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent and comparable work
• 3 or more years in a digital newsroom, including writing
or editing for social. Experience news editing isn't
required but would be preferred.
• A strong understanding of the social ecosystem and SEO
best practices. An insatiable curiosity for digital
audiences and how they consume content across
• Experience using analytics tools such as Chartbeat,
Parse.ly, Google Trends, Google Analytics, Taboola
Newsroom and Social Flow.
• Experience writing for different audiences
• An understanding that not all stories will be successful on
every platform, but that appropriate framing for different
spaces can make all the difference.
• Excellent communication skills and diplomacy. The ideal
candidate feels comfortable giving feedback to peers and
can delicately navigate the politics of a large newsroom.
• Flexibility and creativity: The ideal candidate is a
problem-solver who can roll with the punches and adjust
when the newscycle upends the most carefully laid plans.