Miami MarlinsMiami, FL
Full Time Job
The Miami Marlins seek a rising, progressive-thinking accounting professional to join our expanding team based at Marlins Park. The Senior Accountant will lead and participate in core accounting processes as well as financial reporting initiatives. They will gain invaluable experience while having the opportunity to impact our baseball, business, and foundation operations with their desire to simplify, automate, and drive results.
• Partner with the Senior Director, Finance & Accounting, on monthly financial statement preparation, annual audit and tax requirements, capital requisition processes, and reporting to local government agencies.
• Lead MLB reporting requirements.
• Lead revenue recognition technical accounting efforts across the team's revenue streams, including tickets, concessions, sponsorships, retail, and MLB revenues.
• Partner with the accounts payable department to ensure expense transactions are accounted for and reported in accordance with our financial reporting requirements (both GAAP and MLB requirements).
• Play a key role in the monthly accounting closing process; consistently recommending process improvements.
• Prepare & review key account reconciliations.
• Assist with technical accounting research and prepare related memos and entries.
• Assist in designing and implementing internal controls over core processes.
• Analyze financial information to create models for decision support and provide business recommendations related to management policies or general business operations.
• Become an expert user of the Marlins' financial applications: Dynamics GP, NetSuite, Planful, SAP Concur, Blackbaud Financial Edge.
• Review and analyze historical financial information and prepare discussion materials.
• Enhance our finance and accounting processes, policies, procedures, reporting, and overall infrastructure, based on knowledge of best practices and embracing technology initiatives.
• Model the Miami Marlins Vision and Values in all interactions with teammates, partners, vendors, and fans.
• Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance
• Credentialing (or path to credentialing) – CPA, CFA, or MBA
• 2-3 years of experience in progressive accounting/finance roles
• Experience with Dynamics GP or NetSuite a plus
• Exercise discretion and independent judgment with respect to matters of significance to the financial operations of the team
• Strong technical accounting and analytical skills
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
• Report building / creation and presentation expertise
• Advanced Excel skills, including use of Excel add-ons
• Experience working with large ERPs, SQL, or Tableau are differentiators
• Detail oriented with an exceptional degree of accuracy
• Ability to multitask and meet changing timelines
• Professional demeanor and ability to maintain confidentiality