VP, North America Licensing
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc.Beverly Hills, CA
Full Time Job
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (''MGM'') is seeking a Vice President, North America Licensing executive for its Consumer Products group.
MGM Global Consumer Products is the licensing and merchandising group for MGM Studios. The group sells licenses to manufacturers of soft and hard goods such as apparel, accessories, stationery, party goods, food & beverage, home décor, toys, collectables. In North America, we work with an agent who represent our properties.
The VP, North America Licensing will work closely with the EVP, Global Consumer Products & Experiences to formulate and implement a North America consumer products plan for licensing across all core merchandising categories as well as manage the-day-to-day agent needs, develop new and nurture direct businesses and lead cross-functional responsibilities. The position will be responsible for driving new and catalog film and television properties merchandise initiatives. The ideal candidate will have experience working across key functions including, licensing, retail merchandising, brand/ franchise planning within an entertainment, consumer goods manufacturing or retail environment.
The position will be responsible for effective management and growth of MGM's North America consumer products, including overseeing short and long-term strategy, day-to-day business, marketing, product development, P&L, identifying new licensing opportunities, managing negotiations, as well as business, forecast, and budget reviews and analysis.
* Agent Management - Manage the North America consumer products/licensing business and the key contact with its agent
* Drive Growth Opportunities --As appropriate, drive direct licenses across North America and/or global market for unique categories (e.g. gaming, publishing)
* Developing properties licensing -- Embrace new and developing properties with unique licensing programs that will help drive awareness and incremental revenue opportunities
* Define Consumer Products Property Strategy -- Act as the resident expert and key strategist on key brand franchises. Effectively communicate overarching consumer products film/TV strategies and collaborate with the agent on goals, deliverables and financial targets for each property
* Provide Agent Guidelines - Guide and motivate the agent on the potential licensing and revenue opportunities including identifying categories, licensees and retailers. Work with agents in securing best in class and innovative licensing partners. Guide licensees from contract, product development and approval and sell-in of products to retail
* Create Brand/Franchise Materials - Develop, organize and deliver IP related marketing assets to agent network including; brand decks, sizzles, research, topical news, retail pitches etc
* Present Retail Marketing - Responsible for working with the agent to develop and execute retail programs across all retail channels
* Industry Expert - Knowledge of local market trends, retail landscape and competitive activity
* Attend Trade Shows - Attend licensing trade shows including Licensing Expo, Toy Fair, Magic
* Partner with Business Affairs - Liaise with Legal and Finance department in order to help negotiate licensing contracts
* Department Collaboration - Collaborate with the International licensing partner to determine best in class and key revenue opportunities that can be extended to international territories
* P&L Responsibility - Highly accountable to deliver revenue versus forecast along with managing expenses to deliver company EBITDA goals. Work on licensing budgets and forecasts with the agent on a quarterly basis. Review accounts receivables with the finance counterpart department on a monthly basis and work with the agent on accounts receivable, royalty statement management and potential audits
* Cross Functional Expertise -- Take on relevant department responsibilities and act as a point person, strategist and champion for defined roles across the group (e.g. film, TV, sales admin, trade show etc.)
* Publishing Lead -- review, define and develop a global publishing strategy and work with leading book publishers in executing a global plan with regional applications
* Cross-Functional Relationships - Establish, maintain and enhance relationships with internal and external cross functional groups, including film & TV production, marketing, distribution, corporate business development and creative resources to ensure maximum brand equity to deliver innovative, high quality/brand-enhancing products that meet franchise, financial and schedule goals
* 10 years of related experience in the sports and/or entertainment licensing industry
* Experience, knowledge and a deep understanding of softlines, hardline and toy categories
* Strong contacts in the Licensing community
* Strong understanding and relationships with key retailers
* High level of initiative and flexibility, with the ability to work both independently and collaboratively as needed at all levels internally and externally
* Superior interpersonal skills with the ability to establish positive relationships and work effectively across all levels and disciplines
* Proven communication, negotiation, sales, and organizational skills
* Strong verbal and written communication skills with ability to present to executive/senior level management
* Strategic thinker
* Detail oriented
* Willing and able to travel as needed for business purposes
* Bachelor degree required; MBA optional/preferred
About Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc.
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. is actively engaged in the worldwide production and distribution of motion pictures, television programming, home video, and interactive media. The company owns the world’s largest library of modern films, comprising around 4,100 titles. Operating units include Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures Inc., United Artists Films Inc., MGM Television Entertainment Inc., MGM Networks Inc., MGM Distribution Co., MGM International Television Distribution Inc., and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Home Entertainment LLC. In addition, MGM has ownership interests in domestic and international TV channels reaching over 130 countries.
MGM welcomes highly motivated individuals with strong communication skills and a passion for their work.