Vice President, Music Business & Legal Affairs
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc.Beverly Hills, CA
Full Time Job
Reporting to the EVP, Head of Music, the Vice President, Music Business & Legal Affairs will work on the day-to-day business and legal affairs concerning all music matters in connection with all film, television, record label matters, digital services, and other businesses.
• Structure, negotiate, draft, and analyze various music-related agreements including composer, music supervisor, songwriter, co-publisher, artist, talent, producer and record label agreements
• Advise and liaise with client groups including TV Music, Film Music, Acquisitions/Co-Productions, Finance, Credits, Marketing, Home Entertainment, Residuals, Consumer Products, International and Post-Production with respect to music rights and music-related legal issues
• Review credits for film & TV as well as album packaging
• Handle music contract and copyright related matters as they arise
• Remain up-to-date on relevant music, film, television, and new media business and legal issues and customs and practices to ensure ongoing ability to provide sound business and legal advice
• Responsible for managing ongoing contractual relationships with the company's publishing administrator and record label distributors
• Ensure compliance with performing rights organizations and unions & provide advice and respond to legal, music union and rights inquiries on music issues from multiple divisions within the company
• Advise and inform company executives regarding music-related matters as needed
• Liaise with music clearance and licensing consultants
• Supervise the transmittal and follow up of music documentation with outside agents/attorneys
• Negotiate/administer Company's agreements with all PRO's
Experience & Skills
• Minimum of 8 years of experience, with a minimum of 6 years in a music-specific legal role in a music business affairs, rights & clearances, or licensing capacity
• Experience identifying and managing risk; ability to provide practical, results-oriented legal advice
• Established track record dealing with high level music attorneys, agents, managers, and record and publishing executives
• Strong knowledge of copyright and intellectual property law
• Self-starter with strong work ethic and the ability to take initiative, work independently with minimal supervision, and establish priorities
• Effective time management skills are essential, with the ability to balance multiple matters concurrently in a challenging, fast-paced environment
• Excellent organizational skills
• Strong management and interpersonal skills
• J.D. degree and membership in good standing with the State Bar of California or registered with the State Bar of California as in-house counsel
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
About Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc.
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. is actively engaged in the worldwide production and distribution of motion pictures, television programming, home video, and interactive media. The company owns the world’s largest library of modern films, comprising around 4,100 titles. Operating units include Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures Inc., United Artists Films Inc., MGM Television Entertainment Inc., MGM Networks Inc., MGM Distribution Co., MGM International Television Distribution Inc., and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Home Entertainment LLC. In addition, MGM has ownership interests in domestic and international TV channels reaching over 130 countries.
MGM welcomes highly motivated individuals with strong communication skills and a passion for their work.