SVP, Business and Legal Affairs
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc.New York, NY
Full Time Job
EPIX, an MGM company, is seeking a Senior Vice President of Business and Legal Affairs who will be responsible for providing business and legal affairs support to the affiliate, acquisition, digital and marketing teams at EPIX. The primary responsibilities will be supporting the content distribution, business development and film acquisitions teams.
• Structure, draft and negotiate affiliate distribution deals with traditional, digital/OTT and SVOD partners
• Interpret, synthesize and manage rights and obligations under affiliate distribution deals (e.g., content requirements, MFNs, etc.); advise and counsel internal stakeholders accordingly
• Analyze, assess and provide guidance on new business opportunities and initiatives
• Negotiate and draft acquisition deals with major studios to support EPIX's film library
• Negotiate and draft acquisition deals for ScreenPix film channels
• Administer and advise on existing theatrical output deals and output content; participate in and advise on future output strategy
• Oversee the pre-publication review of affiliate and consumer marketing materials
• Supervise the negotiation and drafting of various commercial agreements, including creative services, marketing services, digital services, research agreements and consulting agreements
• Provide timely and thoughtful legal advice and propose practical solutions based on balancing legal analysis and business objectives
SKILL REQUIREMENTS, EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
• J.D. degree, admitted in New York or California
• 10 years of experience of relevant in-house or law firm experience handling entertainment matters (specific in-house experience in television is preferred
• Excellent negotiating, drafting and analytical skills
• Experience drafting and negotiating affiliate carriage agreements preferred
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with senior management and across the company
• Highly organized with strong attention to detail, ability to multi-task and ability to work well in a fast-paced environment
• Strong interpersonal skills; ability to partner with business executives, collaborate with various stakeholders and build consensus across teams
• Strong interest in the entertainment industry; knowledge of industry deals, trends and practices is preferred
EPIX®, an MGM company, is a premium television network delivering a broad line-up of quality original series and documentaries, the latest movie releases and classic film franchises -- all available on TV, on demand, online and across devices. EPIX® has tripled the amount of original programming on the network and has become a destination for original premium content with series including Godfather of Harlem, starring and executive produced by Forest Whitaker; Pennyworth, the origin story of Batman's butler Alfred; Perpetual Grace, LTD, starring Sir Ben Kingsley; Get Shorty, featuring Chris O'Dowd and Ray Romano; spy thriller Deep State; and docuseries NFL: The Grind, from NFL Films and hosted by Rich Eisen; and PUNK from John Varvatos and Iggy Pop; as well as upcoming premieres of new series Belgravia, from Julian Fellowes; docuseries Slow Burn, based on the hit podcast, and Laurel Canyon. Launched in October 2009, EPIX® is available nationwide through cable, telco, satellite and emerging digital distribution platforms as well as through its EPIX NOW app, providing more movies than any other network with thousands of titles available for streaming.
About Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc.
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. is actively engaged in the worldwide production and distribution of motion pictures, television programming, home video, and interactive media. The company owns the world’s largest library of modern films, comprising around 4,100 titles. Operating units include Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures Inc., United Artists Films Inc., MGM Television Entertainment Inc., MGM Networks Inc., MGM Distribution Co., MGM International Television Distribution Inc., and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Home Entertainment LLC. In addition, MGM has ownership interests in domestic and international TV channels reaching over 130 countries.
MGM welcomes highly motivated individuals with strong communication skills and a passion for their work.