Senior Counsel / Director, Legal and Business Affairs, Scripted TV
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc.Beverly Hills, CA
Full Time Job
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. ("MGM") is seeking an experienced Senior Counsel to join the Business and Legal Affairs team to oversee the legal aspects of development and production for MGM's scripted television programming and initiatives.
• Managing legal matters during the course of development and production and assisting in the development of forms and policies
• Structuring, negotiating, and drafting a variety of development and production agreements, including literary acquisition, writer agreements, talent agreements, producer agreements, director agreements, license / co-finance agreements, rights agreements, and other development and production-related agreements
• Vetting scripts, cuts, and other materials for potential copyright, trademark, defamation, and other legal matters
• Overseeing production counsel and advising internal personnel on day-to-day production matters
• Interfacing on a day-to-day basis with various internal groups (creative, production, talent, etc.) and production personnel as needed
• Analyzing and interpreting contracts and providing thoughtful legal advice on potential risks and issues in a wide range of legal areas, including potential contractual obligations, intellectual property issues, guild issues, and other matters
• Evaluating underlying rights and chain-of-title issues
• J.D. from an accredited law school
• 5 years of day-to-day experience drafting and negotiating scripted television contracts
• 5 years of experience handling development and production legal affairs matters on high profile scripted television projects at a studio or production company
• Additional law firm experience is preferred
• Strong legal acumen with the ability to demonstrate sound judgment
• Working knowledge of entertainment guild regulations
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Excellent ability to evaluate issues and propose/implement solutions
• Ability to work quickly and independently while being able to contribute successfully to cross-functional teams
About Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc.
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. is actively engaged in the worldwide production and distribution of motion pictures, television programming, home video, and interactive media. The company owns the world’s largest library of modern films, comprising around 4,100 titles. Operating units include Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures Inc., United Artists Films Inc., MGM Television Entertainment Inc., MGM Networks Inc., MGM Distribution Co., MGM International Television Distribution Inc., and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Home Entertainment LLC. In addition, MGM has ownership interests in domestic and international TV channels reaching over 130 countries.
MGM welcomes highly motivated individuals with strong communication skills and a passion for their work.