Paralegal, Library Rights Management
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc.Beverly Hills, CA
Full Time Job
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. ("MGM") is seeking a Paralegal to join the Legal Department's Library Rights Management Team responsible for overseeing rights to MGM's fabled film and television library. The successful candidate will assist in the day-to-day operations of the Team, including performing research on produced and unproduced library properties and chain of title preparation and review. The ideal candidate must work well within an administrative team in an environment of constantly changing priorities and deadlines while being able to exercise good judgment and discretion regarding sensitive matters.
• Perform in-depth research regarding derivative production rights for film, television, stage, and new media projects
• Heavy writing (prepare detailed memoranda and analyses) on a routine basis for departmental review; compile detailed reports as needed
• Perform editing rights research for MGM's technical services and distribution teams
• Perform chain of title review for new acquisitions, development properties, and films in release
• Prepare chain of title indices and compile documentation for third-party review
• Interface with acquisitions, technical services, and creative/production departments regarding their respective needs
• Strong academic credential
• Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience working in the entertainment industry or in conjunction with legal/business affairs areas
• Familiarity with a wide range of entertainment agreements, terms of art and industry custom
• Knowledge of the film, television, and digital development and production processes
• Familiarity with DGA, SAG and WGA agreements, including separated rights
• Demonstrated knowledge of U.S. and foreign copyright law
• Highly motivated, detail-oriented self-starter who is able to work independently on multiple high priority tasks in a fast-paced corporate environment along with the ability to meet deadlines
• Ability and desire to work within a team environment, including an ability to effectively collaborate, be receptive to constructive feedback, and be diplomatic when communicating and interacting with senior staff and colleagues; ability to recognize and seek guidance on issues beyond one's knowledge or comfort zone
• Superior written and verbal communication skills combined with strong critical thinking, determined, and tenacious problem solving skills with independent, proactive follow-through
• Excellent computer skills (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, Adobe, etc.) and aptitude to quickly master other databases/application
About Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc.
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. is actively engaged in the worldwide production and distribution of motion pictures, television programming, home video, and interactive media. The company owns the world’s largest library of modern films, comprising around 4,100 titles. Operating units include Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures Inc., United Artists Films Inc., MGM Television Entertainment Inc., MGM Networks Inc., MGM Distribution Co., MGM International Television Distribution Inc., and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Home Entertainment LLC. In addition, MGM has ownership interests in domestic and international TV channels reaching over 130 countries.
MGM welcomes highly motivated individuals with strong communication skills and a passion for their work.