Look Development Artist
Method StudiosVancouver, BC
Full Time Job
The Look Development Artist works with the Look Development Lead or Supervisor to define all the technical and creative aspects needed to create the appearance for CG assets for a particular project. The Look Development Artist should be able to use a variety of methods and renderers to satisfy a production's creative needs.
• Work with the show supervisors to create final looks, templates and materials for CG characters and environments to be used in production and interpret artistic direction from Supervisors.
• Working with the lead of supervisor of a show, define shader requirements, creating shader networks in Maya and Houdini, modifying shader parameters, applying texture maps, and iteratively refining the look to accomplish the art direction goals and integrating solutions into production pipeline.
• Participate as a team member in determining various design and technical solutions; provides feedback to other team members of the production.
• Setup scene templates for Lighters and run shots under guidance of Lighting Supervisor.
• Work closely with texture artists to create necessary texture maps for application to creatures, props and environments
• Work closely with grooming artists and technical animators to create fur, hair, or cloth rigs for application to creatures, props and environments
• Write and/or modify custom shaders, define standard render passes for a project
• Work closely with Lead Lighting TD's and supervisors to ensure that all assets work within the scope of lighting & color pipeline requirements.
• Work with a team of artists in a hands-on capacity to ensure technically and artistically proper implementation of look developed assets
• Keep other supervisors apprised of issues arising in pre-production and shot production and offer creative solutions to those issues.
• 3 years production experience in feature film VFX, 5 years preferred.