Counsel, Marvel Television
Marvel EntertainmentLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Marvel Television is hiring a Counsel to join its Business and Legal Affairs department. This person will be an integral member of a highly collaborative Business and Legal Affairs team.
• Structure, negotiate, and manage deals for the development and production of live action and animated scripted television series
• Draft and negotiate a wide variety of long form agreements, including production services, licensing, and talent agreements
• Advise business partners with respect to legal rights and contractual responsibilities, guild agreements, intellectual property matters, claims and other matters arising out of the day-to-day production of Marvel's live action and animated television properties
• Review promotional, marketing and merchandising materials to ensure compliance with talent and other contractual restrictions, guild requirements and clearance procedures
• Establish and maintain key stakeholder relationships with regular, effective and timely communications concerning deal negotiation and business strategy
• Follow ''best practices'' and contribute toward improving deal parameters, deal memo templates, long form agreements, and departmental resources, processes and procedures
• 3-5 years of law firm and/or in-house experience
• Exceptional negotiating skills, strong drafting abilities, first class communication skills (written and verbal), and creative problem-solving abilities
• Solid expertise with respect to guild and union agreements, contracts, and intellectual property law
• Strong ability to work independently while contributing positively as a collaborative member of a team, with a commitment to integrity, learning and excellence
• Exceptional organizational, prioritization and time management skills with the ability to execute against multiple, high-priority projects in a fast-paced environment with a keen attention to detail
• Experience at a major law firm
• Prior experience handling scripted and/or unscripted television programming in business affairs and/or legal affairs department at a U.S. television network or studio
• Must have a J.D.
• Admission to California State Bar or Registered In-House Counsel
About Marvel Entertainment:
Marvel Entertainment, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is one of the world's most prominent character-based entertainment companies, built on a proven library of over 8,000 characters featured in a variety of media over seventy years. Marvel utilizes its character franchises in entertainment, licensing and publishing.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Marvel Television, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Marvel Entertainment.
Marvel Television, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.