Art Director - Marvel Animation
Marvel Animation, Inc.Urbank, CA
Full Time Job
Marvel Studios has created one of the most powerful brands by bringing memorable, life-changing storytelling to the World through incredible characters like Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Captain Marvel, and Black Panther. The Marvel Cinematic Universe multi-film franchises have redefined the genre by building a universe filled with creativity, innovation and collaboration. At Marvel Studios, you will be part of a team that helps propel our legacy into the future with a vision as far-reaching as our characters, worlds and stories.
Marvel Studios Animation is hiring.
This is an IATSE 839 position covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
This is a key leadership role that partners with the Executive Producer, Producer, Production Designer (if applicable), and Vendor Studio to execute the creative vision of the show while working within the schedule and budget for the series. The Art Director will oversee and work directly with the design team to ensure a quality and consistency of style throughout the series, from the opening title, body of episode to end credits. They must be experienced in the creation of detailed style guides and be comfortable dealing with internal and external departments on a daily basis. They will have strong management skills to oversee and give feedback to artistic crew. They will be responsible for anticipating and problem-solving complexity issues. This role requires collaboration with and leadership of a diverse group of people in a fast-paced environment.
• Work closely with the Executive Producer and Director(s) on all aspects of the episodic look and mood
• Oversee assembly & approval of ''199'' main model pack to be sent to the assigned vendor animation studio as well as use for internal reference.
• Partner in setting the visual style of the series, creating conceptual and production artwork. This includes the Art Review, Black and White Line Art Review and Color Art Review for Executive approval. Subsequent reviews for later seasons may also be required if style evolves.
• Oversee entire design team including Designers, BG Painters and Color Designers, assigning work and monitoring their schedules to create and maintain consistency with the design of the project Approve all color backgrounds and color created by the Color Designers for the characters, props and effects
• Read Outlines/Scripts, attend Storyboard pitches and Animatic reviews, flagging potential complexity or design count issues.
• Maintain production schedule provided by Producer to ensure cost effective, timely production
• Communicate and problem-solve with vendor animation studio. Work with the Production team and the Digital department, create tools as well as information/''do's and don'ts'' document to help vendor studio achieve the required look within our budget and schedule.
• Partner with the Producer, Line Producer, and Production Supervisor to create schedules and casting assignments.
• Work with the TDs to ensure color correct and technically accurate deliveries are achieved. Regularly communicate with our Partner Studio(s) and lead episodic design and asset launches.
• 5-7 years of experience in artistic animation production
• Experience leading a team preferred
• Experience working with vendor animation studios preferred
• Knowledge of drawing software that includes Photoshop, Illustrator, Harmony and 3D technology, where applicable
• A broad knowledge of artistic styles, latest technology and film is essential
• Strong leadership qualities with the ability to partner with Creatives and Executives, collaborate with peers, and manage and mentor artists
• Ability to oversee multiple projects and solve problems in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to align with style and sensibility of show
• Positive attitude with the ability to be flexible
• Excellent organizational, verbal, written, e-social skills and acumen
• Ability to travel outside of the country
• College degree or equivalent work experience preferred?
About Marvel Studios:
Marvel Studios has created one of the most powerful brands by bringing memorable, life-changing storytelling to the world through incredible characters like Iron Man, Thor, Black Panther and Captain America. The Marvel Cinematic Universe multi-film franchises have redefined the genre in building a universe filled with creativity, innovation and collaboration. At Marvel Studios, you will be part of a team that helps propel our legacy into the future with a vision as far-reaching as our stories.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Marvel Animation, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Marvel Studios.