Mainframe StudiosVancouver, BC
Don't worry we have a lot of jobs on the site like this one;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Animation/Graphic Design/Visual FX Category
Search for Surfacing Supervisor jobs in Vancouver-BC
Search all Surfacing Supervisor postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Surfacing Supervisor? WE WANT YOU (and your mad skills)!
Mainframe Studios is hiring for a Surfacing Supervisor on an exciting new Dreamworks TV Series! Following the Director and Art Director's edict, on a CG animated project, the Surfacing Supervisor is responsible for establishing the 'look' and surface qualities for characters, props and environments while overseeing the exploration of efficient and streamlined options needed to generate the desired visual style.
Responsibilities and Duties
• Under the guidance of the Director, CG Supervisor and Art Director, the Surfacing Supervisor oversees the development of the project's visual style as well as the creation and application of all textures and materials.
• Supervises all collaborative efforts with the lighting and shading departments in order to ensure techniques are being achieved and processes are followed.
• Supervises all surfacing procedure and application in collaboration with CG, modeling, lighting, rigging and effects Supervisors in order to troubleshoot creative and technical issues. Facilitates optimal shot production and weekly quota delivery.
• Collaborates with the CG Supervisor and Lighting Supervisor to ensure all assets are surfaced in such a way to be able to achieve the intended performance requirements.
• Collaborates with compositing artists in order to manage render time required and final delivery.
• Guides all efforts to establish the project's standard of performance complexity. Supervises the surfacing team to creatively and technically enhance all texture design and application.
• Motivates, mentors and supports the crew to consistently strive towards excellence within the parameters of the production plan.
• Evaluates and casts artists to surface characters, environments or props based on their strengths and level of expertise.
• Reviews texturing procedural application with the goal of optimal performance while adhering to the productions' budget and timeline.
• Collaborates with Producer and HR on managing performance. Responsible for completing artists' performance reviews.
• Collaborates with the production management team to prioritize assignments pending production schedule. Liaises with Art Direction, Design, Rigging, Animation, Lighting and Compositing Departments as needed.
• Responsible for managing the workflow within the Dept. and fulfilling production schedule requirements on a weekly basis.
• Interprets and implements notes and feedback in a timely and qualitatively acceptable way.
• Adheres to digital file management protocols.
• Collaborate with other studio Supervisors and Surfacing Principal to further develop department best practices.
• Aligns and engages with the values of Mainframe: a culture of community, connectivity, creativity and collaboration.
Qualifications and Skills
• Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience required.
• 4-6+ years of experience working in a professional environment within their discipline.
• Outstanding expertise in UV mapping and texture layout using Maya.
• Superior proficiency using a variety of rendering tools including Maya, Redshift, Renderman, Substance Painter/Designer, ZBrush, Mudbox, Katana, and Nuke is required.
• Knowledge of XGen and hair grooming a plus.
• Outstanding painting skills with an in-depth understanding of color theory and application.
• Outstanding sense of design and a keen eye for detail.
• Superior experience in advanced surfacing techniques such as global illumination and subsurface scattering.
• Ability to collaborate and facilitate feedback requested by executives and/or clients.
• Outstanding ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely both verbally and visually. Excellent interpersonal skills. Practices attentive and active listening.
• Excellent leadership skills, inspiring the team to work as a cohesive unit and excel in surfacing skills. Open to and encourages feedback and new initiatives. Shares information and techniques with team members.
• Ability to liaise with production management to define and articulate production requirements. Ability to predict potential problems and troubleshoot as necessary.
• Highly motivated, proactive, solutions-oriented, solid work ethic and positive attitude. Ability to work well under pressure. Consistently strives to expand knowledge base.
• Outstanding organizational and time management skills. Ability to multi-task and delegate. Thorough knowledge of the production process and pipeline.
• Outstanding problem solving skills and ability to work collaboratively. Actively improve skill set. Ability to quickly assimilate new information and adapt as needed.
• Makes decisions in a timely manner. Accepts accountability for own actions. Creatively solves problems, eliminates roadblocks and focuses on issue at hand.
• Responsible for managing the project's surfacing requirements and ability to deliver work on time and meet set performance objectives.
Mainframe Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer, which means we will not discriminate against any individual based on race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. This policy applies to every aspect of employment at Mainframe Studios, including recruitment, hiring, training, advancement, and termination. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and partners.