Director, Physical Production Technology
LucasfilmSan Francisco, CA
Full Time Job
Reporting to the EVP, Physical Production and the VP, Technology, The Director, Physical Production Technology is responsible for ensuring that all technology needs are appropriately met for all Lucasfilm live action physical productions.
Serving as the primary technology point person, this role provides leadership and technical guidance for global physical production technology leads across multiple productions, while defining the long-term live action physical production technology vision and driving day-to-day decision-making and issue resolution, leveraging local and global resources, as needed.
• Collaborate with Physical Production executives during slate planning and pre-production in order to understand each show's unique technology needs, determine appropriate priorities, create budgets, and design secure, predictable, timely solutions that emphasize high levels of communication and lessens the technology burden on the production.
• Partner with global technology leadership and engineers to leverage Lucasfilm technology resources and utilize global vendor partnerships in delivering production-specific technology solutions.
• Responsible for local networking, storage and services (DNS/DHCP/Printing) design and support.
• Clearly define production technology needs, and partner with global IT teams on recommended architecture. This could include system design, networking needs, 3rd party tech services and workflow processes used by production teams.
• Work with Physical Production executives, Producers, and show Heads of Departments, throughout the show lifecycle, to consistently reevaluate needs and make sure stable solutions are provided in the timeframe needed.
• Partner with Production, technology vendors, and 3rd party providers to ensure technology services are implemented as per design and are successfully transitioned to operations.
• Leverage both consumer level and enterprise class technologies with a solutions oriented approach.
Operations / Support:
• Drive discussions with Physical Production executives, global IT departments, Security, Legal, Purchasing and other relevant teams, to establish best in class Physical Production technology policies and procedures and ensure that they are followed accordingly, acting as the point of escalation and quickly providing guidance when show priorities and Lucasfilm technology processes appear in conflict.
• Establish consistent and non-disruptive on-set and production office IT support mechanisms, with a focus on clear communication, and customer-service oriented solutions.
• Provide day-to-day leadership and performance management to global physical production technology leads.
• Manage IT and technology communications to both technical and non-technical users within production, up to Producer / Director Level, effectively tailoring the message to the audience.
• Work with Physical Production Executives and global physical production technology leads to ensure global staffing is appropriate to both need and budget requirements. Set goals and expectations across teams, and create management structures that ensure that operations run efficiently and consistently. Conduct post mortems and use feedback to continue to improve technology staffing and solutions on future projects.
• Manage local staff corporate accounts (Okta/GSuite/AD, etc.) in line with company policies including onboarding and offboarding of production staff.
• In collaboration with Lucasfilm IT, lead local support team efforts in support of the production, including local disk deployment, backup solutions, desktop support, systems and licensing provisioning/deprovisioning, printing, network access, security policies, contractor system compliance, local Wi-Fi (office and stage) and app (ios/android) troubleshooting when needed.
• Support Lucasfilm corporate applications locally.
• Manage documentation for local environment (inventory, networking design, workflows).
• Participate in show wrap procedures and postmortems, including account management/deprovisioning, audit activities, and the collection of all data and equipment, handing off to Lucasfilm IT as required.
• 10-12 years' experience managing resources in a multi-protocol production environment.
• Demonstrated exceptional project management and leadership skills.
• Must be able to travel / work onsite at production facilities as needed.
• Must be available for, and address, out-of-hours emergency calls.
• Have a passion for technology, with the ability to demonstrate innovation under pressure.
• Team player that strives to maximize team/department performance.
• Detailed understanding of expectations around technical support for production.
• Ability to manage time effectively, and triage and prioritize based on production needs.
Bachelors of Science with a focus on Computer Science, Information Technology or similar degree
Lucasfilm is a global leader in film, television and digital entertainment production. In addition to its motion-picture and television production, the company's activities include visual effects, audio post-production and cutting-edge digital animation, interactive entertainment software, and the management of the global merchandising activities for its entertainment properties including the legendary STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES franchises. Lucasfilm Ltd. is headquartered in northern California.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Lucasfilm.
Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.