LucasfilmAn Francisco, CA
Full Time Job
This position has flexibility to be in San Francisco or Los Angeles.
We are looking for a team player who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, collaborative mindset and passion for great filmmaking that define Lucasfilm.
Lucasfilm seeks a Clearance Specialist to join its legal and business affairs team to coordinate and facilitate all forms of clearances for all of Lucasfilm's theatrical and live action/animated television series. The right person will be as wise as Yoda, as meticulous as C-3PO, with a dash of Rey's pluck and outside-the-box thinking. This position will have the responsibilities listed below and provide essential support as part of the business and legal affairs team that facilitates productions and other special projects as needed.
• Review confidential scripts and other materials and conduct extensive research utilizing the Internet, Saegis, LexisNexis, and other databases to identify any clearance issues and concerns in the following categories: named and unnamed characters, locations, commercial identification, props/set dressing, vehicles, audio/visual materials, telephones/radios, computers, and music, and then issue regularly updated script clearance reports based on findings. Prepare and issue dailies memos, defamation reports and character charts (if required), and other pertinent documents to production and other applicable departments.
• Arrange pre-production ''kick off'' meetings (i.e. prior to principal photography) among production department heads to review the clearance process and guidelines, introduce the production submission form that is used to identify the source of any of the materials found in the categories referred to above, and discuss/clarify any pertinent issues relating to the script clearance reports.
• Service requests from multiple production related departments, such as the Art Department, Props, Wardrobe, Visual Effects, etc. to use certain third-party materials subject to clearance, including but not limited to identifying potential copyright holders, obtaining permission/licenses from the applicable third-party licensors for costumes, artwork, set dressing, footage, etc.
• Coordinate with Entertainment Clearances (Lucasfilm's outside clearance vendor) review of Lucasfilm Animation scripts and certain D streaming program scripts to review, conform, and disseminate resulting feedback to production animation (these are the only scripts that are outsourced), and field any questions or comments back from production.
• Monitor feature film dailies to ensure all items appearing on camera have been vetted and cleared, and if not, track any issues that remain outstanding in post-production and/or in subsequent cuts of the film until picture lock, and update clearance memos accordingly throughout the process.
• Collaborate with Intellectual Property Attorney and Consumer Products to identify any elements and materials that may be ''close calls'' for use in the film, and which also may be used ancillary to the film e.g. merchandise, interactive, etc.
• Review marketing and promotional materials of Lucasfilm's features and television programs including trailers, sizzle reels, one sheets, content intended for Star Wars sponsored events, and value-added material for use in home entertainment, in coordination with production, outside vendors and both Lucasfilm and The Walt Disney Company's Marketing and Publicity divisions.
• Consult with Labor Relations regarding reuse of talent performances in materials intended for use ancillary to the film, i.e. commercials, co-promotions, featurettes, promos, sizzle reels, compilations, value added material, etc.
• Review feature film and television talent agreements and prepare an approvals, restrictions, obligations memo which is distributed to Lucasfilm and Studio and D Marketing, Publicity, Consumer Products, Music, etc. to ensure the talents' contractual rights are being met and necessary fees paid in connection with the distribution, marketing and publicity of the films, television programs, and ancillary uses thereof.
• Minimum 3-5 years related experience including studio script clearance, licensing, and other contract related and/or legal work.
• Knowledge of copyright, trademark, right of publicity, and other legal concepts sufficient to identify and communicate issues.
• Strong PC skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Adobe, Google Mail, and Outlook.
• Interact well with all levels of personnel with ability to communicate clearly.
• Must be willing to take ''ownership'' of projects and think proactively.
• Ability to identify and analyze complex issues and devise solutions and strategies with minimal supervision.
• Must have superior organizational skills with the ability to prioritize high-volume work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
• Self-starter with ability to multi-task, excellent work ethic and commitment to managing assignments with professionalism and integrity.
• Excellent written, verbal, analytical and organizational skills.
• Must be detail oriented, with accurate input and proofing skills.
Lucasfilm is a global leader in film, television and digital entertainment production. In addition to its motion-picture and television production, the company's activities include visual effects, audio post-production and cutting-edge digital animation, interactive entertainment software, and the management of the global merchandising activities for its entertainment properties including the legendary STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES franchises. Lucasfilm Ltd. is headquartered in northern California.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Lucasfilm.