Associate Rendering Engineer
LucasfilmSan Francisco, CA
Full Time Job
ADG develops tools and techniques for high-fidelity computer graphics and simulation. Our goal is to expand and enhance creative storytelling in the Star Wars universe through real-time rendering of film-quality imagery. Our work can also be seen powering many of the ILMxLAB immersive experiences such as Carne y Arena, Secrets of the Empire, and LiveCGX at London Fashion Week.
As an Associate Rendering/Graphics Engineer you will develop new techniques for real-time rendering from R&D inception to production usage. You will deliver tools and technology that empower storytellers, and collaborate with our sister company, Industrial Light & Magic, to leverage existing knowledge and solutions. You will set new bars for what can be achieved with real-time rendering.
Under direction of Manager and Engineering leads:
• Investigate, prototype, and implement solutions for high-fidelity rendering in a real-time context
• Extend and create solutions for lighting, VFX, post-processing
• Integrate solutions into a customized version of the Unreal Engine
• Provide domain expertise in the area of rendering
• Work with artists to develop and implement their vision
• Communicate accurate status updates to management or project leadership
• Collaborate with other engineers to form a highly productive team.
• Familiarity with physically based shading
• Solid experience in one or more of industry standard graphics APIs (DirectX, OpenGL, etc)
• Solid experience of shader languages (HLSL/GLSL)
• Solid experience with GPU and CPU optimization techniques
• Excellent 3D math skills (linear algebra, vector math)
• Strong knowledge of C/C programming languages
• Self-motivated individual with excellent problem solving & communication skills.
• Able to work as part of a team.
• Experience with Unreal Engine development
• Experience with DCC tools such as Maya, 3ds Max, Houdini, Substance
• Strong knowledge of Global Illumination solutions.
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or scientific discipline, or related experience
• 0-2 years of prior experience of coding in the role of Graphics Engineer
Lucasfilm is a global leader in film, television and digital entertainment production. In addition to its motion-picture and television production, the company's activities include visual effects, audio post-production and cutting-edge digital animation, interactive entertainment software, and the management of the global merchandising activities for its entertainment properties including the legendary STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES franchises. Lucasfilm Ltd. is headquartered in northern California.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Lucasfilm.
Lucasfilm Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.