Technoprops Software Engineer
Lucasfilm EntertainmentLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
Technoprops is well known for our HMCs (Helmet Mounted Cameras), but we also create a wide range of Virtual Production hardware (Avatar), Animatronics (Narnia), Miniatures (Orville), custom electronics, and bespoke hardware and software. As part of the team, the software engineer’s job is to design and support many of the products we are known for and to work with creative heads to invent and design new products for filmmakers.
What you’ll do
• Design applications, with both desktop and web-based GUIs, to facilitate use of Technoprops on set devices by a wide range of technical aptitudes
• Implement, adapt and design UDP, TCP and Serial protocols for communicating with Technoprops and third-party hardware and software
• Develop and implement 3D transforms, sensor fusion and other algorithms
• Design plugins for third-party software to integrate data from Technoprops products
• Support, maintain and expand existing Technoprops software tools and documentation
What we're looking for
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field
• General IT administration knowledge
• Expert knowledge of C and Python (2.7 and 3.x) on Windows and Linux
• Skilled designing interfaces using GUI toolkits: Qt, PyQt/PySide, etc.
• Experience with version control tools including git
• General knowledge of 3D modeling/animation and game engine software (e.g.: Maya, UE4)
• Experience with video recording/compression
• An intuitive understanding of the demands of a fast-paced, creatively-driven visual effects production environment.
• Collaboration: a readiness to trust others, be trustworthy, and play nice.
• Communication: an ability to express yourself concisely, a willingness to speak up, and a conviction to keep everyone informed of progress and issues.
• Empathy: an ability to listen intently and understand others’ needs.
• Creativity: an insightful and analytical thinker, and a creative problem solver
• Nice to have:
• Machine vision and image processing
• Embedded Linux kernel module development
• C/C firmware development for 16- and 32-bit microcontrollers
• Proficiency with realtime workflows and virtual production technology
• On set experience
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.
• • •
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.