Senior Systems Engineer,
Lucasfilm EntertainmentLondon, UK
Full Time Job
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
• Will lead, mentor, and collaborate with the technology teams on engineering projects, systems development, tech support and resolution of high level technical issues.
• Responsible for day to day systems support in the London studio, including IT and engineering needs, triage, development and remediation.
• Will provide the ‘face of technology’ in the studio while leveraging the support infrastructure from other ILM studios.
• Manage local tech vendor performance, purchase and support expectations.
• Will manage support escalations on behalf of London artists where issues cannot be resolved locally.
• Partner with global Lucasfilm technology groups and production leadership to plan strategic roadmaps, anticipating near and long term needs.
• Supervise utilization of production systems including monitoring, resource management and performance of any storage, desktop and rendering resource.
• Manage the evaluation and development of emerging solutions to keep Lucasfilm on the leading edge of production technology.
• Maintain strong working relationships with vendors, integrators, and service contractors.
• Constantly monitor and adjust strategy to take advantage of advancements in the industry.
• Support and train relevant personnel.
• Provide support for production system issues when appropriate.
• Provide regular status reports to management and executive teams.
• Provide input for the relevant budgets and financial planning.
• May be assigned to special projects, as needed
• Propose, cost, design, develop and implement production engineering systems.
• Direct systems engineering efforts in high performance computing, distributed compute environments, platform development (primarily Linux OS) and systems optimization.
• Maintain production engineering standards and practices, with relevant documentation.
• Lead technical projects from initial concept through deployment on schedule and on budget.
• Conceptualize the design specifications, establish production client requirements, work with technology teams and clients to plan project costs, timelines, tasks, and dedicate appropriate resources.
• Significant experience of systems engineering in complex heterogeneous environments.
• Computer Science degree or equivalent experience required.
• Solid experience with Linux, Mac, and Windows operating systems and related hardware.
• Excellent knowledge of high performance computing practices, systems engineering principles, core infrastructure services, and production systems and pipelines.
• Be able to demonstrate foresight, creativity and mature judgment in resolving complex engineering challenges in a production environment.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, capable of negotiating resolution of critical engineering issues involving various technical teams.
• Excellent problem solving skills
• Previous experience as a technologist in the Visual Effects industry preferred.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
• • •
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.