Senior Lighting Technical Director
Lucasfilm EntertainmentVancouver, BC
Full Time Job
Senior Lighting Technical Director, Bc
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
The Senior Lighting TDs can independently light, render, and do moderate-level compositing of very complex shots, needing only initial direction and guidance from their supervisors.
• Design and implement direct and reflected lighting and shadows for assigned shots that meet art and tone direction.
• Ensure that assigned shots fit the continuity of the sequence and able to create sequence-based lighting setups that can be completed by less experienced Lighting TDs.
• Develop solutions and techniques that meet art/technical direction. Trouble-shoots asset and pipeline technical issues and optimizes rendering setups.
• Participate in team review of work under development.
• Able to navigate and use previous setups for at least a dozen shots, insertion of shot specialization, managing multiple assets and lighting setups.
• Also able to take in implicit surface and volumetric datasets, light using varying shadowing strategies, imitate distributed light sources. Management of volumetric light setups, including shadowing and cucoloris development.
• Also able to light, material assign and render for actors using CG hair and scattering skin materials.
• Set up and light very complex/multiple creatures (hairy or furry) and elements.
• Excellent pipeline scripting ability.
• Solid compositing ability, can wrangle bluescreen extractions, working knowledge of Nuke.
• Can write plugins, set up sequences, debug simulations and write set up and rman surface shaders with proficiency.
• Can write/hack rman procedural and volumetric shaders, as well as procedural and surface shaders with proficiency.
• Can animate moderate objects with proficiency.
• Excellent knowledge of Renderman and other unviased rendering systems. Needs to know one or more major 3D applications, including Katana, Maya, or Zeno.
• Can pick up new techniques quickly and easily and can debug just about anything
• Set a standard for all TDs in continually raising the bar for speed, quality of work, and adaptability.
• Proven ability to quickly pick up new proprietary pipelines.
• Design and create lighting and the look of computer generated objects and scenes.
• Create images, effects, and programs for digitally composited sequences.
• Responsible for compiling the various elements of a shot and seeing it through to completion.
• Demonstrate good listening and communication skills by openly receiving direction and criticism by asking good questions to confirm clear understanding of the directions and how to approach what needs to be done. Once clear, implements the requested changes immediately and raises flags right away if a solution is not quickly found or if there are any delays, making sure the Supervisors and Production are kept in the loop and are up-to-date on the status of one’s shot work.
• Demonstrates solid presentation/communication skills in dailies/shot review by clearly and briefly outlining what has been accomplished and what next should be addressed in the shot.
• Demonstrate solid problem solving skills.
• Demonstrate the ability to prioritize tasks managing time very well, providing everyone with accurate time estimates on shot task completion.
• Reports to the CG Talent Manager, Lighting and receives daily guidance from the CG Supervisor and VFX Producer.
• At least 5 years relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR, at least 7 years relevant professional VFX experience in lieu of education.
• Experience with either Katana, 3DS Max, Maya, Houdini or other software.
• Linux and scripting ability
• Experience in Python and/or Lua
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.