Senior Crowd Technical Director, Australia
Lucasfilm EntertainmentSydney, NS
Full Time Job
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s five studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Senior Crowd Technical Director to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
The Senior Crowd TD is responsible for creating the motion of crowds, including the animation and simulations for high-end visual effects films, and integrating houdini software into ILM’s proprietary pipeline.
• You will use Houdini software for editing, cycle database management, cycle blending efficiency and plug-in development to accomplish specific effects and export data to all parts of the production pipeline
• Agent Creation, Motion Tree Creation, Motion Choreography, Motion Capture Direction, Houdini Dynamics, Complex Navigation and targeting enemy for battle, Character skeletal retargeting
• Collaborate and communicate with R&D and Production Engineers in order to implement efficient and effective ways to integrate the crowd pipeline and problem solve any issues
• Mentor the entry level artists by assisting on the use of Houdini and any crowd pipeline tools, including documentation and mentorship
• On-going communication with Artists, Production and other Leads and Supervisor regarding schedules, deadlines, and feedback
• Shot set up and troubleshooting technical issues both on the artist/agent level
• Attend all relevant meetings on shots, sequences and production
• Occasionally participate in the recruiting and staffing of the crowd team - assessing the work of prospective candidates for the hiring process
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Computer Graphics or equivalent work experience.
• An in-depth working knowledge of all aspects of Houdini Software is critical.
• 6 year’s production experience in high-end film visual effects
/ Technical Competencies:
• Strong communication skills (written, verbal and interpersonal)
• Proficiency with Linux is required.
• Highly proficient skills in technical problem solving.
• Expertise with Maya and/or other high-end animation software is required.
• Professional experience with python scripting
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.
• • •
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.