R&D Virtual Production Engineer
Lucasfilm EntertainmentSan Francisco, CA
Full Time Job
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
We are looking for engineers to join our Virtual Production R&D team, to help us advance the state of the art in real time virtual production technology for major motion pictures and television.
We’re looking for engineers with experience in-camera vfx, performance capture, real-time visualization, retargeting and/or complex systems integration. We need people with a keen interest in making production-worthy tools for artists, and with the drive to put them into action on our upcoming slate of exciting shows.
What You’ll Do
• Work in a collaborative, distributed team of full-time software engineers, and work directly with highly specialized and supremely talented artists, in ILM’s studios in San Francisco, Singapore, Vancouver, London, and Sydney
• Develop innovative algorithms and techniques, based on the latest in virtual production technology
• Design artist-friendly user interfaces and automated batch processes that scale to high volume visual effects production
• Integrate commercial and open-source systems into the ILM production pipeline; work with external organizations such as Disney Research, and with commercial software and hardware vendors
• Work within and extend and support ILM’s proprietary software systems
• Split time between long-term software development projects and day-to-day production support
What We’re Looking For
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field
• Previous experience in VFX or similar digital production facility
• Proficiency with realtime workflows and virtual production technology is desirable
• On set experience is desirable
• An intuitive sense of the demands of a fast-paced, creatively-driven visual effects production environment
• A readiness to trust others, be trustworthy, and play nice
• An ability to express yourself concisely, a willingness to speak up, and a conviction to keep everyone informed of progress and issues
• An ability to listen intently and understand artists’ needs
• Creativity: an insightful and analytical thinker, and a creative problem solver
• Expert knowledge of programming in C and Python on Linux
• Thorough knowledge of technology related to animation and performance capture: character rigging, geometric deformations, dynamic simulation, computer vision, etc.
• Experience designing interfaces using GUI toolkits: Qt, PyQt/PySide, etc.
• Thorough knowledge of software design/development principles: design patterns, object-oriented design, agile development, etc.
• Experience working with a large, complex, mature, and dynamic code base
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.