R&D Engineer - Creature Team, United Kingdom
Lucasfilm EntertainmentLondon, UK
Full Time Job
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
We are looking for engineers for our Creatures R&D team, to help develop software that brings to life photo-realistic digital characters for major motion pictures.
We’re looking for engineers with experience in creature body and facial rigging and animation, artist-controllable geometric deformation, soft-body dynamic simulation, procedural modeling, and 3D asset management. We need people with strong backgrounds in software engineering, a keen interest in making production-worthy tools for artists, and a knack for simplifying complex processes.
What You’ll Do
• Work in a collaborative, distributed team of full-time software engineers, and work directly with highly specialized and supremely talented artists, in ILM’s studios in San Francisco, Singapore, Vancouver, London, and Sydney
• Design innovative algorithms, artist-friendly user interfaces, template-based asset management systems, and automated batch processes that scale to high volume visual effects production; design systems that simplify complex creature setup and shot simulation processes
• Integrate commercial and open-source systems into the ILM production pipeline
• Work within and extend and assist ILM’s proprietary software systems
• Split time between long-term software development projects and day-to-day production assistance
What We’re Looking For
• BS or advanced degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent experience
• 3 years of experience in professional software development and/or VFX production
• An intuitive comprehension of the demands of a fast-paced, creatively-driven visual effects production environment
• Collaboration: a readiness to rely on others, be dependable, and play nice
• Communication: an ability to express yourself concisely, a willingness to be outspoken, and a conviction to keep everyone informed of progress and issues
• Empathy: an ability to listen intently and interpret artists’ needs
• Creativity: an insightful and analytical thinker, and a creative problem solver
• Expert knowledge of programming in Python and/or C on Linux
• Thorough knowledge of technology related to creature modeling, animation, and simulation: rigging, geometric deformation and caching, physically-based soft-body simulation, procedural geometry, etc.
• Experience with Maya, as both a user and developer
• Experience designing interfaces using GUI toolkits: Qt, PyQt/PySide, etc.
• Thorough knowledge of software design/development principles: design patterns, object-oriented design, agile development, etc.
• Experience working with a large, complex, mature, and dynamic code base
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.