Production Engineer - Expression Of Interest
Lucasfilm EntertainmentSan Francisco, CA
Full Time Job
Production Engineer (Unreal Pipeline) - Expression of Interest San Francisco, CA
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
This posting is an opportunity to submit your resume for future consideration; this is not a role that is open at this time. We anticipate this role may be open in the future, but we are not actively hiring for the position. If you would like to be considered for this potential role, please submit your resume. If the role becomes available, you may receive an email or call from a recruiter.
Industrial Light & Magic is looking for a Software Engineer to join our Virtual Art Department content pipeline team. As a Pipeline Engineer at ILM, you will be responsible for designing and developing the workflow processes and the component tools that empower the creation of immersive entertainment experiences and real-time innovation research at the ILM Virtual Art Department.
What you’ll do
• Developing processes that interface with ILM’s film production pipeline to leverage film assets for real-time productions
• Develop artist-facing tools for the ILM Virtual Art Department artists that empower their creativity in their favourite DCC packages
• Design and implement systems to allow us to track asset metadata and to automate asset transfers using standard asset interchange formats like Alembic, FBX, USD and MaterialX
• Interface with DevOps teams to build scalable and robust systems for the ILM Virtual Art Department
• Provide production support for released software solutions
What we’re looking for
• Bachelor’s degree in, or professional equivalent to, Computer Science or related technical field
• Experience developing software and shipping to a production environment be it games, film, commercials or television/episodical
• Strong Python scripting skill-set using standard python libraries
• Good knowledge of visual effects, feature animation or AAA game content pipelines
• Experience working with and developing workflows in Unreal Engine or Unity
• Experience developing software tools for Autodesk Maya, 3DS Max, or Houdini using Python packages such as PyQt and PySide
• Experience utilising large proprietary or third party APIs and SDKs to further extend the feature-set of a DCC or application
• Familiar with computer graphics interchange formats such as Alembic, FBX, USD and MaterialX and their role in a content pipeline
• Development experience with the Unreal Engine or Unity and are comfortable utilizing 3D mathematics to solve problems (linear algebra, vector math)
• Experience developing software in Linux or Windows environments
• Holistic problem solver who understands art and digital asset production pipeline for film or games and strives for production efficiency
• Comfort with command line interfaces like BASH and TCSH
• Ability and willingness to communicate cross-discipline and provide innovative solutions to production pipeline problems
• A passion for real-time graphics and its potential for VR, AR and immersive entertainment
• Nice to have:
• Familiarity on how assets ought to be authored for real-time game engines
• Familiarity developing tools that interface with proprietary production database systems (MySQL, Postgres, Oracle or NoSQL equivalents)
• Familiarity shipping C/C software to production
• Familiarity with production tracking solutions like Shotgun or Ftrack
• Familiarity or experience with Perforce version control software
• Experience developing for real-time applications and understands the constraints as they pertain to content creation techniques
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.