Paint & Roto Artist
Lucasfilm EntertainmentSydney, NS
Full Time Job
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Paint & Roto Artist to join our team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
The Paint & Roto Artist is responsible for restoring background plates and creating digital articulate mattes.
• Demonstrates a strong eye for color and grain structures with the ability to match saturation, hues and black points from multiple sources to create a cohesive final montage.
• Able to break shots down into individual components with little supervision.
• Easily assimilates feedback given by supervisors.
• Researches appropriate references including continuity with like shots. Proactively shares this information with team.
• Demonstrates a keen eye for recognizing paint artifacts, sharpness and color issues.
• Able to handle complex shots with heavy motion blur, lots of layers, etc.
• Ability to use a combination of techniques when dealing with tricky wire removals and clean plates.
• Demonstrates a basic ability to do “paint on comp” work to a high level of quality.
• Working knowledge of color correction and Grain pipeline in Nuke.
• Ability to use layout and DM cameras in Nuke.
• Ability to export track points between multiple toolsets.
• Working knowledge of stereo compositing pipeline.
• Demonstrates excellent troubleshooting skills.
• Takes ownership and responsibility of shot. Proactively offers options and finds own solutions for production problems.
• Actively works across departments in shot groups. Provides updates to production and other artists on shot progress.
• Bachelor's degree in Graphic Design, Drawing, Animation or equivalent artistic background and education required.
• Minimum 3 years’ production experience in computer graphics, animation or video.
• Professional experience with Silhouette and Nuke.
• Ability to write Nuke gizmos and/or plugins is a plus.
• Python and/or C experience a plus.
• Computer proficiency including UNIX operating system; the ability to learn software and adapt scripts.
• Must have an understanding of how their work fits into the pipeline and its effect on upstream and downstream departments.
• Must have a willingness to learn new tools, a proven ability to be detail-oriented, and problem solving skills.
• Adaptability and willingness to work under tight deadlines and to work efficiently within a production environment.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s five studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.