Lead Digital Model Shop, Bc
Lucasfilm EntertainmentVancouver, BC
Full Time Job
Lead Digital Model Shop (DMS) (TV) Vancouver, BC
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
Takes a leading role in the creation of CG creatures and hard-surface assets used in production.
• Works unaccompanied and with production team (VFX Supervisor, CG Supervisor, Dept Supervisors) at an advanced level to execute the desired look of complicated CG assets, including complex creatures, crowd characters and/or hard surface models, including vehicles, props, objects and environments
• Responsible for defining methodology and/or executing work across all stages of asset development including Modelling, Texturing, LookDev and Groom
• Sets up asset pipeline under guidance of DMS Dept Supervisors to meet production requirements
• Participate as a team member in identifying various design and technical solutions; providing feedback by attending dailies and/or department rounds on a regular basis
• Acts as technical liaison of the discipline
• Works with production team to provide input on scheduling and asset assignments
• Maintains a high level of productivity meeting deadlines and producing high quality work
• Mentors Junior and mid level Artists
Key Peers or Relationships
DMS Artists and Supervisors, Creature Technical Directors, CG Supervisors, Art Department, Art Directors, Production
• At least 5 years of relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma or higher in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR at least 8 years of relevant professional VFX experience in lieu of education.
• Proven ability to work across multiple areas of asset development
• Proven ability and experience of working well on teams
• Able to work effectively on their own and in a team
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to manage priorities and time with the support of production
• Ability to learn quickly and assimilate new information
• Thinks Analytically and innovatively
• Always curious and seek for new learning opportunities
• Proven ability to plan and execute the development of a high volume of assets and complex crowds across a project
Required Technical Skills
• Proficient in Maya, Mari, Zbrush, Photoshop
• Ability to navigate complex Computer Graphics pipelines
• Understanding of UNIX is a necessity as to navigate through ILM’s production pipeline
• Familiarity with film and video post production techniques and with computer graphic techniques
• Very strong understanding of the human form/anatomy and structure/silhouette in respect of modeling
• Strong design aesthetic and ability to translate 2D to 3D art
• Knowledge in Substance, Houdini and procedurally based workflows
• Knowledge of facial development workflows
• Knowledge of Generalist shot production workflows
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.