Lead Creature Technical Director,
Lucasfilm EntertainmentLondon, UK
Full Time Job
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
The Creature Lead handles all simulations associated with CG Creatures, including the rig, cloth, hair, muscle and skin. The Creature Lead will also be responsible for all Rigid Body Dynamics and Rigid Body Simulations that are necessary for CG Character interactions. Ensuring all delivered work/shots maintain the group’s rigorous standards and assist with the creative vision of the Director on their given project.
The Creature Lead also shares responsibility for maintaining the Creature pipeline with other Leads, working closely with representatives across ILM’s global locations to ensure parity and compatibility where needed, whilst also advising locally on best practices and established standards of workflow that will benefit and create efficiency.
In collaboration with fellow Leads and senior artists, the Creature Lead actively looks for opportunities for innovation and improvement of ILM’s creature pipeline, toolset and workflow whilst maintaining the ability to move shots and data efficiently through the pipeline and across locations.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
• Responsible for running the Creature Team on their given project.
• The Creature Lead is responsible for all simulations relating to Creature builds, including creature rig, cloth, hair, muscle and skin. Responsibility also extends to all Rigid Body Dynamics/Simulations necessary for creatures.
• Work closely with Production and Supervision to accurately bid and schedule work for the creature dev team.
• Clearly brief developers on R&D and pipeline requirements for the creature/dev team for their project/show.
• Responsible for leading and mentoring the team of Creature Dev TD’s, monitoring team progress and results.
• Maintain high technical standards and strive to maintain an up-to-date understanding of ILM’s workflow standards, advancements and best practices. Share responsibility for communication and training artists alongside other Creature Leads and ILM training department.
• Proactively reaching out to representatives across ILM’s locations on issues related to both shot production and pipeline development. Regularly update studio staff and leadership teams on progress.
• Assist with the recruitment/placement of Creature/dev artists to ensure the right fit, skills and experience required for the project and team.
• Play a key role in discussions and activities relating to the adaptation and evolution of the ILM pipeline in London studio and across the group,
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
• • •
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.