Layout Supervisor - Expression Of Interest, Bc
Lucasfilm EntertainmentVancouver, BC
Full Time Job
Layout Supervisor (TV) - Expression of Interest Vancouver, BC
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
This posting is an opportunity to submit your resume for future consideration; this is not a role that is open at this time. We anticipate this role may be open in the future, but we are not actively hiring for the position. If you would like to be considered for this potential role, please submit your resume. If the role becomes available, you may receive an email or call from a recruiter.
The Layout Supervisor (TV) works independently and under the VFX Supervisor as the leader of the layout crew. The Layout Supervisor (TV) approves shotwork, advises layout artists on aesthetic changes, and is responsible for the final aesthetic look and accuracy of matchmoves and layout shots sent to the VFX Supervisor (TV). This artist works closely with production to schedule and cast shotwork, bid new or existing shots, and help estimate crewing needs.
The Layout Supervisor (TV) mentors artists, teaches show specific training courses, and troubleshoots shots/pipeline issues if the Layout Artist cannot. The Layout Supervisor (TV) oversees all outsourced layout work, ensuring that any vendor’s work is held to the same standard as work completed internally or at any ILM facility.
In addition to supervising duties, the Layout Supervisor (TV) is responsible for his/her own shotwork. This includes building 3D geometry and maintaining continuity for entire sequences of shots and creating new camera moves based on either existing or synthetic plate photography following the cinematic feel of the project.
• Responsible for the most complex layout and set ups; works independently with minimal supervision
• Provide leadership, guidance and direction to the layout team
• Work with the CG Supervisor (TV) and Production Manager (TV) to bid, schedule, and cast shotwork
• Gives the layout team technical and aesthetic instruction for a shot or sequence
• Troubleshoot issues related to shotwork or layout pipeline
• Converts background plates to create digital motion files that match the plate photography, including animating any live action character or relative object in the scene
• Generate 2D Compositing elements, while maintaining the accuracy of the camera perspectives
• Model the set geometry used to create the matchmove and environment for other departments
• Light, render and composite files with the background to judge the move
• Create original all CG camera animation
• At least eight years of relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma or higher in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR at least ten years of relevant professional VFX experience in lieu of education.
• Proven Track record of delivering high end VFX across a range of episodic television genres.
• Strong understanding of the pace and production process of episodic television
• Good written and oral communication skills including strong interpersonal skills.
• Ability to supervise and mentor a team of artists.
• Work closely with other discipline supervisors, including CG Supervisor (TV) and VFX Supervisor (TV).
• Responsible for delivering feedback to artists, both constructive and positive.
• Must have a willingness to learn new tools, proven ability to be detail-oriented and to work efficiently within a production environment.
• Excellent problem solving skills including the ability to work under tight deadlines.
• On set experience
• Background in previz or rough layout a plus
• Advanced knowledge of LINUX, 3DE, Maya, and/or proprietary tracking software.
• Understanding of photography and the effects of different lenses on perspectives
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.