Ilmxlab Technical Artist
Lucasfilm EntertainmentSan Francisco, CA
Full Time Job
Position at ILMxLAB
We are looking for a Technical Artist who is passionate about bringing the latest technical trends in real-time development to their craft, and who reflects the innovative spirit and immersive storytelling that defines ILMxLAB.
The Technical Artist is responsible for actively partnering with the development team to advance the state of real-time rendered immersive experiences, striving for the highest possible visual fidelity while ensuring optimal performance.
What You’ll Do
• Contribute to look development of the highest-caliber real-time art by creating shaders, lighting and particle effects, and partnering with character and environment artists on asset lookdev.
• Partner with the art and engineering teams to facilitate communication, and ensure that goals and best practices for both are represented.
• Explore and implement new tools and techniques to continuously push the visual bar to the leading edge using scripting (Blueprints, Python, C ) and rapid prototypes.
• Proactively identify and solve technical art issues and challenges.
• Provide hands-on support to the development team for asset performance profiling and optimization. Identify, triage, and fix bugs as required.
• Standardize and improve development processes for production of assets, materials, shaders, LODs, asset streaming, collisions, and interactions.
• Create and maintain clear and comprehensive documentation of processes, tools and workflows.
What We’re Looking For
• 5 years experience in games, film, television, AR/VR or related fields
• 3 years experience with programming/scripting languages such as Python, C , C#, Java, Perl, or MEL
• Strong 3D art skills with experience and deep understanding of optimizing modeling, texturing, rigging, animation, shading, lighting and particle effects for real-time workflows
• Advanced knowledge of software including Maya, Houdini, Blender, Substance Designer/Painter, and Photoshop
• Unreal Engine: extensive experience working with UE scripting and workflows: Blueprints, material networks, real-time lighting and simulations
• Shaders: in-depth knowledge of real-time shader implementations, limitations of shaders in VR, strong understanding of PBR pipelines and subsurface shaders
• Materials: experience in the development, authoring & organization of efficient node-based materials via the UE4 material editor
• Proficiency with profiling tools in the examination & diagnosis of performance issues
• Team-player mindset: open & receptive to ideas, constructive feedback, direction and changes. Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively across disciplines such as art, design, engineering and production
• Ability to work independently and efficiently under tight deadlines. Works well with direction, but also is self-motivated and will seek out or devise solutions to unexpected challenges.
• Nice to have:
• Passion for playing and making games, experience or interest in VR and AR
• Familiarity with C#, or C
• Visual Effects production / pipeline experience
• Interest and capacity to work with proprietary toolsets
**A portfolio / reel submission - including a detailed breakdown of your work in each section - is required with all applications**
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.