Ilmxlab Technical Animators
Lucasfilm EntertainmentAn Francisco, CA
Full Time Job
Position at ILMxLAB
We are looking for a Technical Animator who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, collaborative mindset and passion for great storytelling that define ILM & ILMxLAB.
ILMxLAB Technical Animators help to bring characters to life by identifying, creating, and maintaining animation systems. These systems will range from gameplay movement, to menu functionality, to facial animation setup. You will work with the Lead Animator to identify needs, create systems & tools, and work with other animators and engineers to implement them. The ability to work well alone as well as with others is crucial to this role.
What You’ll Do
• Look for opportunities to improve our animation pipeline and provide solutions for technical animation problems
• Author and maintain various animation tools
• Establish workflow processes to setup our world-class Animators for success
• Create and provide support for animation rigs in Maya and Unreal Engine
• Partner with artists to help create characters, weapons and props that meet technical and animation requirements
• Help problem-solve in-game animation implementation issues.
• Develop new techniques and processes to solve animation production issues
• Using various scripting languages (e.g. Python), you will create and maintain animation related tools
• Research latest applicable technologies and 3rd party software packages
• Be involved with the Motion Capture pipeline and contribute to its efficiency
What We’re Looking For
• 4 years of experience in the game industry with 2 years as a Technical Animator
• Great eye for animation is a must
• Excellent technical knowledge of how games work
• In engine animation layering knowledge
• Familiar with animation systems, such as: Unreal, Unity, Morpheme, Havok, etc.
• Proficiency with Maya layers, trax editor, and mocap tools
• Strong Scripting experience (e.g. Python, etc.)
• Deep knowledge of both figure and facial anatomy
• Experience with Motion Capture workflows and pipelines.
• Highly motivated and proactive with a focus on identifying solutions to hard problems
• Bonus points for experience with character rigging, setting up physics assets, and/or the development of tools
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.
• • •
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Industrial Light & Magic, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.