Lucasfilm EntertainmentLondon, UK
Full Time Job
Position at Industrial Light & Magic
ANIMATION SUPERVISOR – London Studio
We are looking for an Animation Supervisor who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, collaborative mindset and passion for great filmmaking that define ILM.
The Animation Supervisor is responsible for working with the Director of Animation in the studio and under the direction of the VFX Supervisor during projects. The Animation Supervisor is responsible for designing and creating the motion of all computer-generated characters. They are responsible for ensuring that all delivered shots support the vision of the Director and VFX Supervisor whilst maintaining the group’s rigorous standards.
The Animation Supervisor will also assist the Director of Animation with recruiting and managing a strong team of animators for London Studio and is a key stakeholder in the ILM, London management team.
What you’ll do
• Receive client briefs and work with the VFX supervisor to explore and determine the creative and aesthetic approach to the animation and the character performance direction.
• Work with Production to accurately bid and schedule work for the show.
• Work with the CG Supervisor as to the technical setup of characters to be animated.
• Assist in the recruitment and placement of animators to ensure the best possible fit of skills and experience for the project.
• Direct the animation crew and guide the overall animation production to deliver the expected and desired performance.
• Conduct reviews as final quality control on all animated elements prior to VFX Supervisor and Client review.
• During dailies, clearly and briefly outline accomplishments and areas of issue to VFX Supervisors.
• Receive and comprehend direction and criticism of VFX Supervisors.
• Effectively communicate notes and direction back to artists.
• Work closely with recruitment and other animation supervisors to build a strong animation team for London Studio and crew all projects effectively.
• Work with the Director of Animation to ensure the professional development of all animators. Conducting performance reviews, identifying training and mentoring needs.
• Where necessary work closely with HR to deal with issues relating to poor performance or matters of discipline.
• Driven to build strong working relationships and work collaboratively with senior creative and production staff at London studio.
• Build strong working relationships with colleagues in all ILM locations.
• Keep abreast of new technologies and techniques and ensure such information is disseminated to the animation team and fellow Supervisors.
What we’re looking for
• Expert knowledge of traditional animation principles, acting, film production and compositional design while demonstrating exceptional skills as an animator demonstrated by portfolio, showreel and references.
• Significant proven experience in film VFX at a supervisory level and proven ability to deliver complex shots to the highest level of quality.
• Good technical understanding of those areas of CG relating to character build and movement – modelling, rigging, creature TD and FX.
• A keen eye for detail.
• Strong awareness of deadlines.
• An ability to give and receive criticism in a constructive manner.
• Demonstrably strong presentation and communication skills.
• An ability to lead and mentor more junior artists.
• An ability to engage in the creative process without ego. Accepting all final decisions with a positive and supportive attitude.
• Excellent organizational and project management skills
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
• • •
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.